Under the general supervision of the Director of Pharmacy participates with patients, medical staff, health care practitioners in the provision of effective, safe and appropriate drug therapy.
- Reviews, processes and monitors patient medication orders to evaluate the appropriateness of use, dosage form, route of administration, regiment compliance, therapeutic duplication, drug interactions, adverse reactions and age appropriateness.
- Checks technician prepared or prepares for dispensing all medications for patient specific use
- Coordinates delivery of controlled substances to patient care units
- Maintain records required by hospital and department policies, federal, state and local regulations
- Completes monthly unit inspections of patient care areas, code carts and all other areas where medications are stored
- Assists with drug procurement and inventory maintenance
- Provide pharmacy consultation as requested
- Assists with precepting experiential education students from Schools of Pharmacy
- Reviews non-formulary requests and prepares formulary reviews as needed for Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Participates in performance improvement activities using evidence bases practice. Implements Steward initiatives (therapeutic interchange, renal dosing, ADR reporting) with regard to efficacy, safety, and cost effectiveness,
- Participates in Drug Utilization Evaluation program, Quality Improvement projects and prepares summary reports
- Demonstrates as thorough knowledge of patient right to confidentiality
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, in service meetings, workshops and professional affiliations to keep abreast of the latest trends and laws
- Adjusts schedule as necessary in view of fluctuations in workload
- Significant interactions with nurses and physicians, also required substantial interface with patients
- Maintains a safe and secure environment
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by the Director of Pharmacy
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- 1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Able to deal with psychological stress associated with the position
Graduate of accredited School of Pharmacy; Bachelor of Science or Doctor of Pharmacy degree required. Advanced degree or residency preferred.
Hospital experience preferred
Licensed pharmacist in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country's largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.