Pharmacy Technician, I Full Time Night Shift
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
Performs a wide variety of technical and clerical duties for the hospital wide drug distribution system and intravenous admixture program, including: Maintaining confidential records; preparing intravenous medication including but not limited to chemotherapeutic preparations, while abiding by clean room regulations (USP 797); repackaging of unit-dose medications, performing monthly ward inspections, and rotating at off-site SAH-owned pharmacies on a regular basis.
- Medication orders are filled accurately.
- Code carts and code trays are filled and ready for checking.
- Repackaging of medications is done correctly and procedure is followed.
- Medications are written on the re-order list when inventory is low.
- Items on the “To Do” list are completed without waiting to be assigned.
- Ward inspection assignment is completed monthly
- Phone calls are triaged and managed whenever possible. If the call requires a pharmacist the call is given to the appropriate person.
- IVs are prepared when needed for delivery; preparation does not delay delivery.
- Titrate rounds are done and titrating IV meds are prepared and delivered prior to the time required.
- IV lists are reconciled each morning and any discrepancies are clarified.
- IV and Chemo orders are filled accurately.
- IV and Chemo orders are manufactured in accordance with good sterile product preparation technique.
- IV room is restocked on an ongoing basis so that supplies are readily available.
- Proper garb regulations are adhered to.
- Temperature and hood cleaning logs are completed
- IV room cleaning is done and documented
- Chemotherapy procedures are followed including technique, garb and checking process.
- ParX is always used for refills and loads of medications
- Pyxis refills are accurate.
- Medication expiration dates are checked and updated in the Pyxis
- Floorstock is checked and filled on schedule days.
- Pyxis alerts are looked at and action taken in a timely manner. Pyxis FST is called if needed.
- Proper procedure are followed in the handling of controlled substances
- Questions are clarified with the Pharmacist.
- Medication errors are brought to the attention of the Pharmacist for clarification
- Any question regarding a physician order which the technician feels is inappropriate is brought to the Pharmacist for clarification
- Minimum Education Requirements: High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Minimum Work Experience: Six to twelve months pharmacy experience preferred
- Equipment/Software/Certification: Technician certification preferred. MA Technician Registration Required.