Pharmacy Technician I
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
This is a Per Diem Position.
Working under the day to day supervision of the pharmacists and Pharmacy Leadership, the technician is responsible for the proper handling of medications. This includes but is not limited to: receiving, distribution, management of expiration dates, management of inventory in Pyxis, storage, repackaging, compounding, filling orders, delivering, and stocking. The job requires excellent communication skills and a desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
Licensure and Competencies
- Is responsible for maintaining licensure CPhT and State registration as required
- Is responsible for completing all educational modules including but not limited to: Steward University
- Performs Gloved finger-tip and media fill test as required.
Works under the supervision of:
- Pharmacy Leadership
- Assists with receiving order from wholesaler
- Scans in delivery
- Properly inventories/stickers delivery to ensure all items are received
- Confirms that each med is “scannable”. Involves pharmacist when appropriate
- Helps to maintain proper stock levels of drugs, supplies and solutions by Informing in writing, the need for an item when it is getting low
- Repackages medications from bulk to unit-dose when necessary
- Performs calculations for dosing, unit conversions, admixture volumes
- Prepares clean room and sterile products area for daily use
- Follows clean room policies and procedures
- Prepares low and medium risk sterile and non-sterile compounds
- Complies with Universal precautions and uses Aseptic technique when compounding
- Checks expiration dates in and outside the department
- Credits and debits patients in Meditech if meds reordered or returned
- Resolves missing medication issues
- Performs monthly floor inspections to ensure integrity of medications on the units and in patient care areas.
- Ensures all medications are properly labeled
- Properly disposes of medications, hazardous substances, sharps
- Properly identifies and returns expired meds eligible for credit
- Assists in semi-annual inventory activities as needed
Fills Medication Orders
- Receives labels and orders, and is able to accurately select proper drug, dosage form and strength
- Accurately retrieves medications from ADC fill list
- Neatly organizes filled meds for checking.
- Accurately retrieves medications as requested at the window
- Properly refills trays and kits including but not limited to: Code Trays, STEMI kits, anaphylaxis kits, “tackle boxes” in preparation for pharmacist to check.
- Accurately fills OR Machines
- Performs routine rounds to patient care areas and units in timely manner
- Delivers meds to proper location including but not limited to: ADC, Med Room or a nurse if requested.
- Updates machines with current date for drug
- Outdates meds in ADC at each delivery to machine
- Returns meds from the floors when need
Fills Automated Dispensing Cabinet (ADC)
- Understands process of loading and unloading
- Fills ADC accurately by consistent use of scanner when required
- Loads meds in a neat precise manner without overfilling pocket
- Is able to trouble shoot minor equipment issues with ADC
- Is able to reboot equipment as needed
- Uses exceptional customer service skills/communication to resolve issues
- Answers phones and triages phone calls that need a pharmacists
- Communicates well with nursing and other staff outside of the pharmacy department
Year Round Pharmacy Technician needed-per diem
Pharmacy Students Welcome!
Must have a Mass Tech license
Must be available weekends/holidays/evening
Important COVID message
Please note, our New England Sinai Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously canceled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.