At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
Accession bench responsibilities include collecting and receiving specimens in the LIS, processing and delivering specimens to the proper department(s). Answering the phone and directing inquiries to the proper personnel. Phlebotomy responsibilities include collecting and transporting blood and urine samples to the lab in a timely manner. Interfaces with patients and health care providers to provide phlebotomy services in a timely organized manner.
- Collect and receive all eligible specimens in the LIS.
- Operate the centrifuge following all safety guidelines.
- Deliver all specimens (blood, urine, body fluids.) to the proper department within specified time frames.
- Process specimens for sendout department and have the ability to perform basic send out protocols, which include but is not limited to call up site batches and manually writing up sendout requisitions.
- Answers telephones and provides customer service in a professional manner.
- Follows all hospital and department policies regarding personal protective equipment, biohazard waste and sharps disposal.
- Orders all necessary patient lab work as required in the LIS.
- Reviews a hard copy of the outstanding specimen list with the next shift.
- Cleans and stocks the accessioning bench.
- Properly identifies patients in accordance with laboratory and hospital policy.
- Obtains blood from patients ranging in age from infants to geriatric patients.
- Obtains blood samples in adequate amounts and in appropriate containers.
- Obtains blood samples by capillary and venipuncture methods.
- Initials, dates and times all specimens and places the bar code label in the proper position on the sample
- Labels all specimens with appropriate patient information according to hospital and laboratory policy.
- Has the knowledge of and complies with procedures and policies in the Phlebotomy and laboratory Collection Manual
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Maintains effective communication skills across the entire customer base.
- Must be able to adapt and work in a collaborative fashion with all hospital departments and customers.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to
- Ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
Interacts with all others in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner as established by departmental practice and procedure.
- Education: High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Experience: 0-1 years of experience preferred
- Certification/Licensure: Phlebotomy certificate from accredited program preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.