Phlebotomist-Lab Supports- Per Diem
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Per Diem As Needed
This position is covered by the SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement
Performs venipunctures and skin punctures competently and expediently. Has thorough knowledge of test requirements, assists in Clinical Laboratory as needed. Responsibilities include collection of, blood cultures and blood samples; inventory control; office.
• Consistently draws blood competently and expediently with as little patient discomfort as possible.
• Performs specimen collection
• Identifies patient per policy (2 identifiers) - comparing patient information on the requisition to the patient's identification either verbal or by wristband before venipuncture is performed.
• Performs all office functions
• Displays courteous, professional manner towards patients, co-workers, nursing and medical staff.
• Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
• Labels and records time and initials on all test tubes, lenters tests via LIS, and files paperwork as needed.
• Demonstrates knowledge about which color top tube to use and the volume of blood needed – knows test requirements and where to research requirements.
• Follows Universal Precautions at all times.
• Disposes all sharps in a rigid sharps container.
• Disinfects and decontaminates venipuncture trays, specimen transport containers, and phlebotomy carriers and carts. Maintains work areas. Responsible for inventory in laboratory storeroom; reviews expiration dates. Records needed supplies for the supervisory personnel.
• Performs job responsibilities with minimal supervision.
• Completes duties in a time efficient manner, knows how to prioritize STAT orders using the STAT priority protocol, urgent orders, scheduled orders and outpatients.
• Seeks guidance and direction as necessary.
• Demonstrates the value of team concept on a consistent basis.
• Follows policies and procedures for the Clinical Laboratory and the hospital.
• Submits suggestions to improve the Clinical Laboratory's efficiency.
• Interacts will all personnel in a professional manner
• Assists in the training of other laboratory assistants.
• This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
Important COVID message
Please note, Holy Family hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.