Phlebotomist - Per Diem
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Performs, under minimal supervision, routine and specialized testing on patient specimens to obtain information used in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
* Obtains and processes specimens for laboratory testing according to department/section policy and procedures, collection of nasal swabs. Verifies accuracy of test specimen before testing.
* Applies the principles of basic and special procedures in regard to anatomy and physiology, specimen collection and specimen processing and handling.
* Has knowledge of fundamental biological characteristics, medical terminology, safety measures and infection control.
* Selects equipment, methods, appropriate Quality Control, and site for blood collection according to established procedures
* Prepares equipment and patient according to established procedures.
* Evaluates patient situation and specimen appropriateness to check for possible source error, inconsistencies, and to take corrective action according to predetermined criteria.
* Consistently practices universal precautions.
* Successful in 95% of the venipunctures
* Responds appropriately to calls. Arrives at the area requesting bloodwork within 10 minutes
1. Is part of a team effort to insure quality services.
2. Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
3. Produces quality results.
4. Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
5. Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
High School Diploma/GED or Equivalent related experience. Must possess the interpersonal skills necessary to interact with patients and their families as well as nursing and physician staff with kindness and empathy.
Completion of phlebotomy course with diploma preferred. Prior experience working as a phlebotomist or in a related healthcare role preferred.