Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Performs a variety of functions related to accurate and safe collection and processing of laboratory specimens from patients of all ages. Follow the procedure manual and operates in accordance with the policies of Steward Medical Group
• Enter patient information and laboratory test orders into MediTech
• Draw Patients and process all specimens in a timely manner and following laboratory procedures for sample acceptability
• Prepare specimen to be sent out; handling specimen according to laboratory protocols
• Maintain phlebotomy supplies for the phlebotomy area
• Follows established guidelines for resolving patient specimen problems. Documents steps taken during the troubleshooting process
• Complies with established laboratory policies for universal precautions and safety procedures. When handling blood and/or bodily fluids, universal precaution procedures will be followed to minimize exposure to infectious diseases. Safety policies and procedures will be followed when using chemicals.
• Ability to read, understand and follow written procedures
• Ability to communicate adequately with all laboratory clients
• Basic clerical/data entry skills preferred
• Client relations skills preferred
• HS Diploma or equivalent
• Previous experience within a laboratory setting in a similar role preferred
• Phlebotomy certification preferred
• ASCP certification/eligible preferred