At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Performs a wide variety of tasks including data entry of patient information, blood collections, while adhering to universal precautions to ensure patient safety. Assumes responsibility to respond to pages in a timely manner, must possess the interpersonal skills necessary to interact with patients and their families as well as nursing and physician staff with kindness and empathy.
- Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as references in the Service Excellence Standards
- Perform all duties of a phlebotomist
- To identify patient prior to treatment, adhering to hospital protocol to ensure patient safety
- Performs the Blood Bank wristband procedure for collection of specimens for any Blood Bank/Transfusion testing
- Receives orders for sample collection; retrieves and assembles required equipment
- Enters patient data, makes specimen labels and retrieves patient information using Laboratory computer
- Collects blood samples for testing by venipuncture or capillary puncture on patients as ordered by physician
- Identifies and resolves problems and/or errors in a timely manner notifying the appropriate staff as needed
- Refers patient who have questions regarding blood tests to the nursing or medical staff
- Performs bleeding time tests on patients as ordered by physician, following procedures correctly and safely by using bleeding time device, blood pressure cuff, and stopwatch. (applies butterfly bandage)
- Enhances the blood collection process with minimal discomfort to the patient by using blood collection sets
- Performs routine test requests, verification of specimen collection and reschedules blood work when needed
- Labels all specimen correctly using bar coding to indicate patient identification, routine or STAT handling and precaution labels
- Distributes all specimens to the appropriate laboratory area for testing
- Identifies specimens with special handling instructions and processed them as directed by laboratory procedure manuals and/or supervisor
- Answers both voice and electronic pages in a timely manner
- Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions
- Maintains standard precautions with no incidence of failure
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by department standards
- Safely handles needled and biological specimens in accordance with safety guidelines
- Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of patients, visitors, families and fellow employees.
- Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management
- Utilizes automated system to communication inter and intra departmentally, as appropriate
- Will access and respond to E-Mail messages in a timely manner
- Readily accepts assignments and completes assignments on time
- Participates in department competencies
- Assists in training students and new employees
- Performs necessary functions to provide a clean and welcoming patient care area
- Adheres to dress code
- Covers PAT (Pre-Admission Testing) Area when needed
- Performs EKGs in the pre-admission testing area on a as needed basis
- Acknowledge that it is my responsibility
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to work independently and take imitative
- Good judgment and problem solving skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- High level of confidentiality
- Education: High school graduate or equivalent. Must have successfully completed the Certified Phlebotomy course or equivalent; completion of phlebotomy course with diploma
- Experience: Experience required varies depending on shift and location of position
- Certification/Licensure: Certified Phlebotomist or equivalent course
- Other: Some computer knowledge useful
Important COVID message
Please note, our Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously canceled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.