Performs a wide variety of tasks including data entry of patient information, blood collections, while adhering to universal precautions to ensure patient safety. Assumes responsibility to respond to pages in a timely manner, must possess the interpersonal skills necessary to interact with patients and their families as well as nursing and physician staff with kindness and empathy.
- Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as references in the Service Excellence Standards
- Perform all duties of a phlebotomist
- To identify patient prior to treatment, adhering to hospital protocol to ensure patient safety
- Performs the Blood Bank wristband procedure for collection of specimens for any Blood Bank/Transfusion testing
- Receives orders for sample collection; retrieves and assembles required equipment
- Enters patient data, makes specimen labels and retrieves patient information using Laboratory computer
- Collects blood samples for testing by venipuncture or capillary puncture on patients as ordered by physician
- Identifies and resolves problems and/or errors in a timely manner notifying the appropriate staff as needed
- Refers patient who have questions regarding blood tests to the nursing or medical staff
- Performs bleeding time tests on patients as ordered by physician, following procedures correctly and safely by using bleeding time device, blood pressure cuff, and stopwatch. (applies butterfly bandage)
- Enhances the blood collection process with minimal discomfort to the patient by using blood collection sets
- Performs routine test requests, verification of specimen collection and reschedules blood work when needed
- Labels all specimen correctly using bar coding to indicate patient identification, routine or STAT handling and precaution labels
- Distributes all specimens to the appropriate laboratory area for testing
- Identifies specimens with special handling instructions and processed them as directed by laboratory procedure manuals and/or supervisor
- Answers both voice and electronic pages in a timely manner
- Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions
- Maintains standard precautions with no incidence of failure
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by department standards
- Safely handles needled and biological specimens in accordance with safety guidelines
- Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of patients, visitors, families and fellow employees.
- Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management
- Utilizes automated system to communication inter and intra departmentally, as appropriate
- Will access and respond to E-Mail messages in a timely manner
- Readily accepts assignments and completes assignments on time
- Participates in department competencies
- Assists in training students and new employees
- Performs necessary functions to provide a clean and welcoming patient care area
- Adheres to dress code
- Covers PAT (Pre-Admission Testing) Area when needed
- Performs EKGs in the pre-admission testing area on a as needed basis
- Acknowledge that it is my responsibility
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to work independently and take imitative
- Good judgment and problem solving skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- High level of confidentiality
- Education: High school graduate or equivalent. Must have successfully completed the Certified Phlebotomy course or equivalent; completion of phlebotomy course with diploma
- Experience: Experience required varies depending on shift and location of position
- Certification/Licensure: Certified Phlebotomist or equivalent course
- Other: Some computer knowledge useful
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.