At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
The Cardiology Physician Assistant (PA) provides care to patients with acute and chronic cardiovascular conditions including patients undergoing cardiac catheterization procedures, Electrophysiology procedures and patients admitted to inpatient and observation level of care. The Cardiology PA utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent, or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems. In collaboration with the physician, the PA follows and manages patients enhancing many aspects of patient care including core measures, patient throughput, and efficient coordination of care after discharge. In addition to direct patient assessment and treatment, the Cardiology PA provides consultative services, inter and intradepartmental liaison, education, and clinical performance improvement leadership. The Cardiology PA will incorporate both independent decision-making abilities and collaborate with the physicians, interdisciplinary care team, and leadership to provide expert care to the patients. This position will include rotating weekend coverage.
- Support efficient management of inpatient and observation patients with known/potential cardiac diagnoses such as chest pain, syncope, dysrhythmias.
- Assure that all cardiac observation patients are seen at least daily
- Assist in arranging for inpatient diagnostic testing and in triaging for the ambulatory site those tests that are not essential for a safe discharge plan.
- Assist with initial and follow up cardiology consult visits under the supervision/ direction of the attending cardiologist.
- Exercise Stress, Stress Echo and Stress Nuclear Administration.
- Assist with the admission and discharge of outpatients presenting for cath lab procedures (diagnostic cardiac catheterization, electrophysiology/pacemaker procedures)
- Responsibilities include:
- Admission History and Physicals
- Ordering and Interpreting Lab and Diagnostic Studies
- Initiating emergency measures
- Discharge summary
- Discharge planning
- Cath lab pre-procedure assessment
- Cath lab assessment for Moderate sedation
- Management of cath access site issues
- Management of pacemaker site/wounds
- Patient teaching
- Augment the hospital's patient education and discharge planning for patients with CHF who are at risk for readmission
- Provide targeted educational materials and appropriate patient teach-back activities, etc.
- Assure timely outpatient follow up for cardiac patients at high risk for readmission.
- Participate in on-call assignments and demonstrate flexibility to cover staffing as needed.
- Analyze pertinent clinical data, communicate findings and document information appropriately.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary care team to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordination of resources.
- Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
- Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay, and overutilization of resources.
- Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for hospital-based staff.
- Actively participate in patient safety and clinical process improvement projects.
- Becomes proficient in placing central lines
- Document according to policies and procedures.
- Adhere to hospital policies and procedures; support the mission of the hospital.
- Maintain a safe working environment to include radiation safety/appropriate personal protection attire.
- Communicate effectively with peers, managers, ancillary departments and other customers.
- Cardiac Cath Lab/ Electrophysiology (EP)
- Assist with admission and discharge of patients presenting to Cath Lab for EP procedures
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs, and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to make sound judgments and problem solve
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Excellent Organizational and communication skills
Minimum Education Requirements: Completion of accredited PA program required. Master’s degree preferred.
Minimum Experience: At least 3-5 years of previous experience working in a dedicated cardiology practice or hospital setting preferred.
Equipment/Software/Certification/License: Board certification required. MA state license required. BLS & ACLS certification required. Medical Staff office ensures DEA/MA Control substance licensure.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.