Physician Asst Ex
Orthopedic General Physician Assistant
The Department of Orthopedics at Steward is seeking a full-time, licensed Physician Assistant to provide clinical care as well as support programming for orthopedic program. Position will be primarily responsible for supporting ambulatory and/or outpatient surgical services. Additionally, position will be expected to demonstrate aptitude to work across the various service lines as required. Position will require clinician with a high degree of flexibility to support various demands across the work week. Position would be expected to shift from clinic, operating room and/or ER as needed to ensure seamless high quality patient care.
Physician Assistant’ will play a pivotal role on this service with first assisting in the OR, and well as involvement in all aspects of post-operative care, including inpatient management. Responsibilities include independently rounding, patient education and proficiency in post-operative orthopedic management. Position will require individual capable of practicing with a high degree of clinical autonomy. Position will be required to function across all points of care-clinic, ER, inpatient and outpatient.
The Physician Assistant's on service will work regular scheduled shifts, rotating weekend coverage and rotating call coverage requirements.
The role may include:
- Support emergency and access to care: Participate in the on-call schedule.
- Support admission to care: Perform comprehensive and problem-focused histories and physical examinations; perform appropriate laboratory and diagnostic studies.
- Provides patient services in the orthopedic clinic under direct supervision and responsibility of Physician and or Department Chair.
- Perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as aspiration and injections of joints, bursas and cysts. Apply casts, braces and other orthopedic appliances.Examines patient, performs comprehensive physical examination, and compiles patient medical data, including health history and results of physical examination. Instructs and counsels patients regarding compliance with prescribed therapeutic regimens, emotional problems of daily living, and health maintenance.
- Support inpatient care: Assist with surgical procedures in operating room; perform minor procedures on the unit; conduct daily hospital rounds; evaluate post-operative patients; handle discharge planning for patients on service.
- Facilitate patient referral to the appropriate physician or agency; and conduct follow-up visits on patients.
- Office Duties: Returning phone calls from patients, handling prescription refills and EMR management support.
We are seeking candidates with a background in orthopedics.
- Graduate of NCCPA approved Physician Assistant Program
- Florida Physician Assistant License
- One to five years Physician Assistant experience required.
- NCCPA Board Certified or Board Eligible
- BLS Certified
- ACLS Certified
- Orthopedic Experience
- Ability to travel to FL based programs