Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Responsible for comprehensive practice management of all assigned Steward Medical Group Physician Network practices and/or medical office locations within assigned market.Primary responsibilities include supervision of all Steward Medical Group support staff including managers, medical assistants, and secretarial/administrative assistant, etc., site operations, budgeting and financial management, billing, marketing and business development. Works closely with Chairman, Division Chiefs and physician staff in the delivery of customer-focused high-quality patient care. Works in close concert with the Director of Physician Practice Management to introduce and monitor productivity standards to evaluate practice efficiency. Ensures an efficient revenue cycle process, which maximizes reimbursement and minimized denials. Develops and operationalizes new Steward Medical Group Physician Network departments and sites as required.
- Directs the activities of all assigned physician departments and office locations. Monitors their progress against mutually agreed on goals and objectives.
- Directs the activities of the managers employed at each practice. Monitors their progress against mutually agreed on goals and objectives.
- Establishes budgeted staffing level for each assigned practice. Works in close concert with the Recruiter to recruit, select and hire all staff. Works with Human Resources to resolve employee relations issues and develop performance improvement plans.
- Develops the annual capital and operating budgets and reviews monthly financial activity and reporting. Works closely with the physician in budget planning and fiscal review. Interacts with the assigned finance contact on all relevant financial issues. Coordinates all operating capital expenditures, site renovations, medical equipment and computers.
- Ensures that support staff is fully trained and up to date with compliance requirements. Works closely with Patient Financial Services to ensure maximization of physician reimbursement in conjunction with third-party compliance requirements.
- Assists in the development of business plans for newly acquired sites or practices. Oversees the acquisition of new sites including staff recruitment, equipment/supply purchasing, build-out/relocation management and the development of operating procedures.
- Contracts with ancillary services for office site usage. Manage session scheduling and support services at practices. Coordinates necessary coverage arrangements for both primary and specialty care services.
- Works closely with Director, physicians and the Public Affairs and Planning departments to effectively market and develop departments and office sites.
- Works with the IS and Patient Financial Services to develop and improve the flow of patient account information via automation of manual activities and electronic interfacing.
- Oversees necessary training needs of assigned practice employees.
- BS in Management, Healthcare or Administration required. MBA preferred. Equivalent physician practice management experience will be considered.
- Five to seven years of healthcare management experience, preferably in a large group practice. Private practice experience desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written required.
- Extensive knowledge of private physicians’ office operations, budgeting and financial reporting, medical billing operations and systems required.
- Demonstrated successful management and supervisor experience required.
- Ability to manage the financial and operations aspects of multiple specialty or primary care sites.
- Experience with Athena and/or eCW EMR systems preferred.
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office Suite required.