Perform a wide variety of duties including but not limited to analysis, design, testing, documentation, training, report writing and daily user support. Ability to interpret and develop functional specifications, flowcharts, input and output specifications (including file structures and record layouts) and operational specifications. Determine and accommodate the impact of various system changes on users, automated or manual, troubleshoot various problems and respond to user department needs. Interact with all level of users throughout the organization to clarify and verify requirements at all stages of analysis, design, and implementation. Programmer Analyst reports to the Reporting/Applications Manager. The position consults closely with healthcare staff, software vendor representatives and Information Services Department staff and management. The Programmer Analyst has the authority to change processes and make recommendations that are needed to implement information systems as outlined in the Responsibilities/Essential Functions section of the job description.
RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Demonstrates proficiency creating reports in Meditech Report Designer and NPR Report Writer, and facility in learning and applying new and emerging concepts very quickly.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate with little guidance to design, develop, and prepare applications for implementation and support phases.
- Demonstrates a good understanding of the current and future application and technology architectures relevant to the area served.
- Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and manage projects and tasks independently.
REPORT ANALYSIS AND DEVELOPMENT:
- Participates in the identification and resolution of complex application problems and procedures, suggesting solutions to identified problems. Activities include:
- Investigation of system reporting issues and concerns from users.
- Discrimination between user error/education vs. system problem.
- Communication and follow up with system vendor or colleagues.
- Able to execute independently or coordinate programming fix with vendor or colleagues.
- Responsible for testing of resulting program fix; and verification of proper system functionality.
- Consults with personnel; analyzes and organizes clinical, financial and administrative work-flow, utilizing flow charts to identify problems or opportunities for system improvement.
- Participates in workflow of process redesign, decisions with the implementation of new IS technology.
- Participates in new product demonstrations and provides input towards implementation process.Works under the direction of Applications/Reporting or Program Manager or independently on hospital wide and departmental data initiatives.
- Defines, performs analyses of, and identifies solutions for moderately complex problems related to data extraction.
- Evaluates and diagnoses complex data structures.
- Develops reports and reporting that maximize efficiencies.
- Uses establish software development life cycle principles to develop, build, test and implement reporting solutions.
- Proficient in multiple application environments and languages
- Reviews, analyzes and modifies programming systems (including encoding, testing, debugging and installing) under the guidance of the applications manager to support hospital application systems.
- Familiar with downtime reporting applications, report scheduling and data delivery via ftp.
- Utilizes the Hospital Information System programming code to perform the following:
- Intermediate Report Writing
- Rules Building
- Database Software
- Screen Generators
- Develops and maintains scripting programs utilizing hospital supported scripting tools.
ISSUE TRACKING AND REPORTING:
- Uses software vendor tracking systems to report and monitor resolution of software irregularities and custom programming requests.
- Uses internal issue tracking system to monitor and document resolution of system user issues, questions and requests.
- Responsible for routine communication to customers, department heads and project team members on issues, project status, software enhancements/fixes.
- Maintains a collaborative working relationship with department leaders.
- Responsible for responding to issues, questions and requests related to information systems on the computer network.
- Assures follow up and timely resolution.
- Educates customers on industry news.
- Performs on-call duties as required.
TRAINING AND EDUCATION:
- Develops training materials as needed.
- Conducts core group and end user training classes and/or presentations as required.
- Performs in-house technical training for other IS staff as required.
- Provides assistance to junior staff on project management techniques.
RESPONSIBILITIES/NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- In Depth Understanding of the Healthcare Industry.
- Participates in outside work-groups, clubs and organizations focused on healthcare information systems.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with Steward policies and standards.
- Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all administrative, financial and clinical data.
- Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering or Information Systems.
- Minimum Experience: At least 3-5 years of related work experience and/or training.
- Must have a working knowledge of relational databases and client server concepts.
- Strong understanding of common software applications (ex. MS Office) required.
- Strong, demonstrable analytical/problem solving skills and detail oriented
- Ability to prioritize and simultaneously work on multiple tasks and projects.
- Effectively work with individuals from all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess strong teaching skills.