Quality & Safety Specialist
Reporting to the Director of Quality and Safety, and working in partnership with the hospital Chief Medical Officer and Chief Nursing Officer, the Quality and Safety Specialist is responsible for management and coordination of projects in data collection and analysis on quality of care and patient safety in accordance with the Hospital Quality and Safety Plan and is also the key administrative support and database management resource for the Department, including serving as the hospital Policy Coordinator. Additionally, the QS Specialist supports the overall improvement strategies of the organization to support both clinical and operational excellences.
1. Provides administrative support for the department committees when applicable
2. Serves as the hospital's Policy Coordinator responsible for the oversight of the policy review process and management of the policy database
3. Attends and supports departmental/hospital meetings where measurement and evaluation functions are performed as agreed upon by the Director of Quality and Safety; works with various groups throughout the hospital to identify evidence-based best practices and to develop implementation and sustainability plans.
4. Attends Quality and Patient Safety Committee meetings and other meetings when performance improvement is indicated
5. Serves as a resource in regulatory readiness preparation including The Joint Commission survey planning and process
6. Assists with follow up of quality management and risk management activities as requested.
7. Assists departments with the development, implementation of hospital tracking systems for quality and risk management activities
8. Collaborates in the collection, dissemination, and analysis of quality data and serves as a resource for related performance improvement initiatives.
9. Completes chart review and abstraction for quality and safety related programs.
10. Performs all other job related duties as requested by the Director of QS
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or other related healthcare field
- One to two years of relevant experience in a health care setting
- Possess strong customer service skills and interpersonal interactions
- Excellent analytical skills, including analysis, planning, organizing, and troubleshooting
- Strong computer skills: Windows-based operating software and systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Adaptability with high tolerance for ambiguous work situations.
- Ability to work in conjunction with staff in a supportive way to troubleshoot and resolve issues.
- Must be visible to staff, offering support and modeling service behaviors and concern resolution processes.
- Must be a team player and have proven success applying a team approach to obtain resolution to an issue or successfully accomplish a goal.
- Knowledge of healthcare environment and regulatory compliance around hospital operations
- Ability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Experience in quality/performance improvement methodology, concepts, education and implementation