Regional Chemistry Supervisor, Laboratory Services , Full Time, Day Shift (Sign On Bonus)
Provides administrative and technical leadership for Chemistry Laboratory Services. Develops and administers
policies and procedures in cooperation with the Medical Director of Laboratory Services to ensure the delivery
of quality laboratory services. Under the general direction of the Administrative Laboratory Director and in
conjunction with the Chief Pathologist, is responsible for supervising the daily operation of the assigned section
of the Laboratory. Will also assist in maintenance and development of the laboratory computer system. All
duties will be performed in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards, and will comply
with criteria mandated by appropriate accrediting and licensing agencies.
· Directs and coordinates the technical services of areas of responsibility to promote efficiency of
operation and efficient utilization of personnel.
· Contributes to developing and implementing departmental/section policies. Communicates changes and
educates employees of new and modified departmental and hospital policies/programs.
· As needed and requested by director, represents the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services in
meetings with other administrative personnel in the hospital.
· Develops and implements, in concert with the director, policies, procedures and techniques relative to
safety, infection and environmental control standards within areas of responsibility. Inspects department
on an ongoing basis for compliance with established regulatory and accreditation standards to promote
efficiency, health and safety of staff and patients; recommends corrective action as necessary.
· Supervises and coordinates functions and activities of all areas of the core laboratory: establishes work
schedules to ensure efficiency of operations; identifies, evaluates and recommends means for improving
systems. Communicates with healthcare providers to assure problems are resolved and needs are
· Organizes, maintains and monitors department supplies to ensure adequate inventory at all times.
Evaluates and justifies equipment and supply needs; meets with vendors to discuss purchase of supplies
and equipment; and participates with director in the negotiating of contracts and purchasing agreements.
· Assures that equipment is maintained and repaired. Assures complete documentation and tracking of all
equipment related service issues.
· Assures compliance with CAP, TJC, FDA, OSHA, state and federal regulatory agencies and Steward Palmetto Hospital policies and procedures. ·
Reviews all quality control, maintenance, QA reports and CAP surveys ·
Recommends to department director short and long term goals for areas of responsibility. ·
Performs duties of medical technologist as needed, including bench technical work. ·
Handles patient, physician and staff problems/complaints by phone, mail and in person. Refers as appropriate to department director. Informs department director of all incidents/occurrences. ·
Demonstrates proper use of equipment and supplies according to established procedures. Keeps current in knowledge of state of the art laboratory equipment and technology. ·
Assures all equipment maintenance is performed and documented properly. Assures maintenance records are properly reviewed and stored. ·
Adheres to department/hospital policies and procedures in performing duties and assignments. ·
Participates in various committees within the organization as assigned or in the absence of the Administrative Director. Attend a variety of meetings, discussions, seminars and workshops both within and outside the organizations as approved by the Laboratory Director. ·
Develop, implement, and maintain positive working relationships and appropriate interactions with Physicians, various external agencies and personnel, various community organizations and services within the community in identifying and addressing various issues including but NOT limited to: quality of services provided, employee performance, community needs, scope of services, etc. ·
Oversees staff orientation and initial competencies. ·
Assigns and assesses staff competencies annually. Provides the Administrative Director with an overview of all staff competence annually. ·
Performs personal evaluations ·
Maintains and submits accurate payroll information in accordance with hospital policy. ·
Hires and interviews staff as needed · Disciplines staff as necessary according to Steward Human Resource Policies. ·
Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed. ·
Performs other duties as assigned