Registered Nurse- Acute Care
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compass
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Provides direct and indirect patient care in the critical care setting. Communicates with physicians about changes in patient’s clinical condition including hemodynamic monitoring, results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology. Is able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment. Additionally, is able to perform general nursing duties in all departments with adequate supervision. Participates in performance improvement and CQI activities
- Communicates with physicians/Nurse Manager/co-workers, as appropriate about changes in patient's clinical condition including results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology.
- Able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to General Responsibility Knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and their clinical condition.
- Follows the five medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
- Performs patient care Responsibilities: considering needs specific to the standard of care for patient's age.
- Ability to perform a head-to-toe assessment on all patients and reassessments as per policy. This includes: pediatric, geriatric and the general patient population.
- Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain; Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques.
- Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Ability to revise plan of care as indicated by the patient's response to treatment and evaluate overall plan daily for effectiveness.
- Formulates a teaching plan based upon identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning, family is included in teaching as appropriate.
- Ability to assess and reassess pain and pain management techniques utilized.
- Educates the patient and family regarding pain management treatment.
- Able to perform general nursing duties in all departments with adequate supervision.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty, uses time and attendance time system correctly.
- Completes inservices and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends annual review and department inservices, as scheduled.
- Attends staff meetings annually, reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
BEHAVIORAL EXPECTATIONS - It is our responsibility to treat all of our customers (patients, families, physicians, co-workers, and outside contacts) with courtesy, dignity, respect and professionalism. The following is an assessment of your performance relative to each of these expectations.
- Welcome and/or greet customers in a professional, polite and respectful way. Assists customers with finding their way. Makes eye contact; introduces self and explains purpose, when appropriate.
- Assists people with finding proper resources for problem resolution.
- Listens carefully; does not interrupt; gives people full attention.
- Respects privacy and dignity. Respects individual and cultural differences
- Uses a professional and respectful tone. Does not make disparaging remarks about others.
- Respects other people’s time and priorities.
- Discusses confidential or sensitive information about customers, employees, or hospital business only with those having a valid need to know, and does so privately, never in public places.
- Responds in a timely manner to requests for help. Responds to customers’ needs and provides prompt service. Provides a time frame for providing services and explains any delays. If unable to provide service, finds someone who can assist.
- Adapts easily when plans or situations change. Supportive of and appropriately responsive to change.
- Invites questions and comments
- Communicates with clarity and professionalism both orally and in writing.
- Keeps people informed while resolving issues or getting answers to questions.
- Takes responsibility for improving processes and systems; looks for new and better ways of doing things
- Participates openly, honestly shares opinions, and looks for new and better ways of doing things. Demonstrates a willingness to accept assignments in a positive manner
- Maintains positive working relationships with co-workers and all customers. Works as a member of the team; performs duties in a way that makes it easier for others to perform theirs.
- Avoids personal conversations with co-workers when providing patient care or other customer service. Demonstrates a professional attitude toward co-workers and customers.
- Makes no inappropriate or negative comment about patients, co-workers, physicians, and any aspect of Nashoba Valley Medical Center while in the presence or within hearing of an internal or external customer. Does not initiate conflict and takes measures to ensure that conflict does not occur.
- Demonstrates pride in Nashoba Valley Medical Center by keeping areas clean and safe. Limits eating, drinking and to designated areas and only during approved times.
- Complies with organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Demonstrates ongoing responsibility and commitment to the job through attendance and punctuality in relation to stated work hours.
- Accepts responsibility for the outcome of decisions. Learns from criticism, is open to new ideas and makes appropriate changes.
- Follows professional telephone guidelines.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
MA RN Licensure
Graduate of accredited school of nursing - BSN Preferred
1 year acute care experience in a hospital setting
BLS required; ACLS preferred
Telemetry experience a plus
Important COVID message
Please note, Nashoba Valley Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.