Registered Nurse First Assist - Operating Room
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Provide competent and ethical care within legal standards of practice as applicable to the RNFA.
- Participate in preoperative assessment and planning for selected surgical patients in collaboration with the health team members in the preoperative location.
- Recognize safety hazards and initiate appropriate preventative and corrective actions;
- Provide exposure through appropriate use of instruments, retractors, suctioning, and sponging techniques;
- Handle and dissect tissues in collaboration with the surgeon;
- Clamp blood vessels, coagulate bleeding points, ligate vessels, and perform other procedures in collaboration with the surgeon;
- Suture muscle, fascia, subcutaneous, and skin tissue in collaboration with the surgeon;
- Place drains as surgically indicated; Assist with cannulation and decanulation procedures, if indicated. Follow selected surgical patients postoperatively in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
- Serve as an educator, mentor, consultant, and resource to colleagues and other health care professionals in relation to RNFA activities.
- Work as a professional colleague with the perioperative team and influence multidisciplinary relationships by enhancing collaborative processes.
- Maintain regulatory, credentialing, and privileging requirements
- Pursue professional growth related to both perioperative nursing and RNFA practice and participate in a professional organization.
- Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
- Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately
- Responds to requests in a timely manner.
- Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Completion of credentialing process
- Excellent knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology, and operative technique
Education: Graduate from an accredited school of nursing
Completion of an RNFA Program
Experience: Two years perioperative services experience
Certification/Licensure: CRNFA, ACLS, CNOR and Basic Life Support certification required
Current Registered Nurse licensure in MA
Software/Hardware: Meditech preferred
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic
Important COVID message
Please note, Nashoba Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.