Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 12/30/2019
Performs all aspects of Sleep Lab and Patient preparation for executing all modes of polysomnographic testing for the purpose of assisting with the diagnosis of all sleep disorders
- Receives and reviews requests for polysomnographic testing in order to prepare (CPAP) or bi-level positive airway treatment in accordance with the policy and procedure or protocol manual
- Monitor’s patient’s progress (normally involving monitoring and testing more than one patient at a time), remaining alert for extended apneic episodes, distress and signs of respiratory distress/arrest.
- Alerts physician of problems or initiates Emergency Medical Response procedures accurately.
- Performs advanced troubleshooting and corrects deficiencies to prevent loss of test time in the Lab.
- Reports problems to manager or physician as appropriate
- Reviews, scores and interprets final tracing by identifying sleep stages as determined by following pre-set criteria: number of apneas and hyponeas per hour and per sleep stage; number of arousals; and presence and severity of hypoxemia and arrhythmias recognizes certain EEG and EKG abnormalities and artifacts consistently and in a timely manner.
- Executes accurate studies for pediatric, special needs, adult, and geriatric patient populations by applying principles unique to each of the groups.
- Maintains accurate record of sleep studies and results according to ASDC standards., maintaining technologist documentation every 1/2 hour and in accordance with the Lab policies, procedures and protocols.
- Maintains an inventory of all supplies and equipment and reports shortages early enough to prevent stock outs.
- Cleans, disinfects, calibrates, and maintains all equipment for sleep testing allowing for complete and accurate tests.
- Maintains all necessary paperwork including, but not limited to logbooks.
- Takes the lead in improving communications within the work group and with physicians, both referring and the Medical Director.
- Maintains standards of educational preparation as set out by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine as well as the National Board for Registered Polysomnography Technologists, including but not limited to mentoring other technologists, maintaining, 10 CEU’s per registration period, and educating the public on sleep disorders.
- Actively participates in department quality and process improvement programs.
- Strictly adheres to Universal Precautions procedures
- Performs other duties as may be required.
Management of Time and Resources:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance.
- Is reliable in respect to punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Is part of a team effort to insure quality services.
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
- Produces quality results.
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
- Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
- Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
- Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately?
- Responds to requests in a timely manner.
- Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: inservices, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and inservices and/or reviews documentation as required.
- Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
- Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located.
- Registration as a Polysomnography Technologist