- Performs appropriate adjustment of gait devices (i.e. walkers, canes) and application of orthoses/splints under the direction of a licensed therapist and instructs patients in proper use of these devices.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment by adherence to department maintenance and infection control procedures.
- Reports any changes observed in patient status and/or unusual incidents to the appropriate staff member.
- Assists the physical or occupational therapist in selected patient related activities, and/or performs portions of the treatments independently, as predetermined by the therapist for each patient.
- Participates in receptionist and clerical functions as requested with precision and attention to customer services.
- Inventories and requisitions materials and supplies as needed, completing all required forms and obtaining physician referrals as needed.
- Maintains timely and accurate documentation, including the medical record, charges, aide duty checklists, inpatient billing sheet, etc.
- Consistently demonstrates an awareness and concern for patient safety; complies with hospital infection control policies.
- Consults with other members of the rehabilitation team as needed to coordinate patient care.
- Demonstrates familiarity with physical and occupational therapy and medical terminology and abbreviations
- Appropriately refers unanswerable questions/problems to the appropriate person; seeks information to clarify requests/assignments.
- Assists in selected portions of the orientation and/or training of new employees.
- Consistently demonstrates a complete knowledge of body mechanics to avoid injury to self or patients.
- Demonstrates good judgment in appropriately prioritizing work to meet departmental needs, standards, and deadlines; seeks assistance to prioritize in cases of uncertainty.
- Reacts to change productively and performs other job related tasks and duties as assigned.