Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 1/20/2021
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Administration of Respiratory Care to Inpatient and Outpatient populations
- Performs all therapeutic treatments in a complete and timely manner.
- Performs arterial blood gas (ABG) drawing and ABG, Cord pH, and Venous pH analysis efficiently, safely “within an appropriate time”
- Performs Pulmonary Function testing and Six Minute Walk test efficiently, safely and as ordered.
- Educates patients about the method and necessity of performing respiratory treatments in order to insure therapeutic outcomes.
- Identifies the appropriate patient and administers the correct therapy or diagnostic care on a routine basis.
- Maintains equipment in a functional and sanitary condition to provide effective and safe care.
- Maintains technical competency in quality control of the blood gas analyzers.
- Operates and maintains mechanical ventilators to achieve the best respiratory state for each patient.
- Suggests appropriate changes in respiratory care to nurses and physicians as patient’s respiratory status changes.
- Responds to emergency situations immediately in a calm and professional manner and ensures the adequate maintenance of ventilation during cardiopulmonary resuscitation or other respiratory crisis.
- Reports to the oncoming shift concisely and completely.
- Incorporates all appropriate events and observations into the patient’s record in a timely manner.
- Strictly obeys hospital infection control and isolation procedures.
- Assimilates all new orders for respiratory procedures into the assigned daily work within the shift ordered.
- Appropriately triage therapy assignments to insure critical therapy is completed and not deferred to routine care.
- Cleans, maintains, and sets up equipment to ready it for future use. Cleans and maintains respiratory work and storage areas to allow efficient uncluttered use of these spaces.
- Maintains the technical capability to assess patients’ respiratory status based on age-related categories.
- Fills the Charge Therapist role fairly and effectively.
- Performs assigned inservice education, performance improvement or policy revision tasks efficiently.
- Reports to nurses and physicians all notable deterioration or improvement in a patient’s condition.
- Maintains an understanding of current projects, events and policies by attending department staff meetings, monitoring electronic messaging or reading minutes of hospital meetings.
Management of Time and Resources:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance.
- Is Reliable in respect to punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Is part of a team effort to insure quality services.
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
- Produces quality results.
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
- Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
- Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
- Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
- Responds to requests in a timely manner.
- Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: inservices, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and inservices and/or reviews documentation as required.
- Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
- Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located.
- Certification by the National Board of Respiratory Care
- License in Respiratory Care by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- BLS Certification.
- Registration by the National Board of Respiratory Care
- BS in Respiratory Care or related field.
- ACLS and NPR preferred.
Important COVID message
Please note, Morton Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.