RN Lactation Specialist OGBYN Ex
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement based on medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
Under the general direction of the Clinical Director, the Lactation Educator Consultant is responsible for providing education and support to expectant and new parents on lactation. Communicates with physicians/unit Director/co-workers, as appropriate about changes in patient's clinical condition and can respond quickly and accurately. Additionally, can perform general nursing duties in other departments with adequate supervision. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span of the patient; possess the ability to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age specific needs and to provide the are needed as described in the unit's policies and procedures and skills check lists Must be able to respect diversity of each individual's values, culture, spiritual beliefs, and other socio-economic issues in addressing the needs of patients, visitors and co-workers. Participates in performance improvement activities.
The Lactation Educator:
- Plans, coordinates, and participates with physicians and other departments in developing a clinical path for each breastfeeding family. Assists staff to update care plan as needed.
- Formulates a teaching plan based upon identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning; family is included in teaching as appropriate.
- Instructs and provides in-service to all staff on breastfeeding issues and basics of breastfeeding to assure consistent content for inpatient instruction.
- Uses conferences, demonstrations, available resources, and problem-solving methods to assist staff in meeting the needs of the breastfeeding family.
- Ensures adherence to standards in the Maternal Child Services based on Hospital Administrative Standards, Human Resource Standards, Department of Nursing Standards, and unit standards with collaboration with the Clinical Director in unusual situations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing preferred.
- Current licensure in Texas as a Registered Nurse.
- Clinical practice with an emphasis on Ob/GYN experience and Lactation Services
- Reference Steward Certification Grid for all required Certifications.
- Current National or International Certification on Breastfeeding Education or receive certification within one year of hire.
Steward Health Care complies with applicable Federal and State civil rights laws and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, citizenship, alienage, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability. Steward Health Care does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, citizenship, alienage, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability.