Security Officer -32 hours - Mon Tues Wed Thurs
TITLE: Security Officer
JOB CODE: 71700-0821
DEPARTMENT: Security Dept.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Security Sergeant/Director of Security
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Under the direction of the Security Sergeant/Director of Security, provides security and safety of all staff, visitors and patients. Handles all traffic related matters. Functions as a resource regarding hospital information for patients and visitors. Maintains a safe environment for all visitors, patients and employees at Carney Hospital. Projects an image of professionalism in communication, appearance and conduct. Maintains a working knowledge of departmental standard operating procedures. Must maintain an active knowledge of security emergency procedures and environment of care standards. Performs other duties as assigned by the Security Sergeant/Director of Security.
* Provides a visible deterrence to crime and prohibited activities by patrolling the buildings and grounds of the hospital.
* Responds quickly and effectively to emergent and non-emergent situations.
* Ensures only authorized personnel are admitted onto hospital premises.
* Escorts visitors, patients and personnel to and from parking areas upon request.
* Maintains current information in lost and found logs. Notifies the D.O.S and the Sergeant when items are reported missing or are located.
* Serves as a member of the Fire Control Team and responds to all fires
* Investigates incidents of unusual circumstances reported by hospital personnel, visitors, physicians or patients and reports all incidents, verbally or through general incident form, by the end of each shift.
* Writes accurate, clear and legible incident reports and documents investigatory steps and results.
* Responds to emergency calls for assistance to control disorderly conduct or combative patients including assisting patient care staff in restraining patients. Maintains annual de-escalation certification through the hospital training program.
* Patrols grounds by utilizing the security vehicle.
* Patrols the parking areas on foot and by vehicle to enforce the hospital parking policy program.
* Reports all safety and fire hazards observed on routine patrols and inspections.
* Assists and gives courteous responses to any inquiries made by patients, visitors or personnel.
* Monitors the hospital using electronic security equipment (closed-circuit television, alarms, etc.).
* Enforces all hospital policies and procedures as assigned by Administration and the Security Department Director.
* Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
* Completes annual education requirements.
* Maintains patient and personnel confidentiality at all times.
* Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
* Completes time sheets according to departmental policy. Employees utilizing time cards will only punch themselves in and out on each shift.
* Wears identification in plain view at all times while on duty.
* Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
* Performs all other responsibilities as directed and needed.
* Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of Carney Hospital.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
Any combination of experience equivalent to at least 2 years in Security/Healthcare Operations, field experience in a law enforcement agency or prior service in the United States Military preferred. Demonstrated effective communication, interpersonal skills, safety measures and de-escalation skills acquired through appropriate training.
Important COVID message
Please note, our Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.