TITLE: Security Officer
JOB CODE: 71700-0821
DEPARTMENT: Security Dept.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Security Sergeant/Director of Security
Under the direction of the Security Sergeant/Director of Security, provides security and safety of all staff, visitors and patients. Handles all traffic related matters. Functions as a resource regarding hospital information for patients and visitors. Maintains a safe environment for all visitors, patients and employees at Carney Hospital. Projects an image of professionalism in communication, appearance and conduct. Maintains a working knowledge of departmental standard operating procedures. Must maintain an active knowledge of security emergency procedures and environment of care standards. Performs other duties as assigned by the Security Sergeant/Director of Security.
- Provides a visible deterrence to crime and prohibited activities by patrolling the buildings and grounds of the hospital.
- Responds quickly and effectively to emergent and non-emergent situations.
- Ensures only authorized personnel are admitted onto hospital premises.
- Escorts visitors, patients and personnel to and from parking areas upon request.
- Maintains current information in lost and found logs. Notifies the D.O.S and the Sergeant when items are reported missing or are located.
- Serves as a member of the Fire Control Team and responds to all fires
- Investigates incidents of unusual circumstances reported by hospital personnel, visitors, physicians or patients and reports all incidents, verbally or through general incident form, by the end of each shift.
- Writes accurate, clear and legible incident reports and documents investigatory steps and results.
- Responds to emergency calls for assistance to control disorderly conduct or combative patients including assisting patient care staff in restraining patients. Maintains annual de-escalation certification through the hospital training program.
- Patrols grounds by utilizing the security vehicle.
- Patrols the parking areas on foot and by vehicle to enforce the hospital parking policy program.
- Reports all safety and fire hazards observed on routine patrols and inspections.
- Assists and gives courteous responses to any inquiries made by patients, visitors or personnel.
- Monitors the hospital using electronic security equipment (closed-circuit television, alarms, etc.).
- Enforces all hospital policies and procedures as assigned by Administration and the Security Department Director.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains patient and personnel confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated times
- Completes time sheets according to departmental policy. Employees utilizing time cards will only punch themselves in and out on each shift.
- Wears identification in plain view at all times while on duty.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Performs all other responsibilities as directed and needed.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of Carney Hospital.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
Any combination of experience equivalent to at least 2 years in Security/Healthcare Operations, field experience in a law enforcement agency or prior service in the United States Military preferred. Demonstrated effective communication, interpersonal skills, safety measures and de-escalation skills acquired through appropriate training.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Associates or Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice preferred.
- Experience (Type & Length): Any combination of experience equivalent to at least 2 years in Security/Healthcare Operations, field experience in a law enforcement agency or prior service in the United States Military preferred. Demonstrated effective communication, interpersonal skills, safety measures and de-escalation skills acquired through appropriate training.
- Certification/Licensure: A Carney Security Officer must also have or be able to obtain within one year of being hired, the IAHSS Basic Security Officer certification and complete De-Escalation training through an organization chosen by the Hospital. Massachusetts class D operators license
- Software/Hardware: Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.