Location: Steward Health Care
Posted Date: 11/3/2020
(Briefly describe the overall purpose of this position - Why does it exist and how does it contribute to the overall organization?)
As an integrated, cost-effective accountable care organization, Steward is committed to providing the highest quality of patient care in the communities where our patients live. Steward is widely recognized as a national leader in implementing a new model of integrated health care delivery. Steward’s model takes care of patients from wellness and care management all the way through their end of life.
The Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team provides analysis and reports to help the system make informed and timely strategic decisions. The FP&A team also connects to and collaborates with all business units across the system supporting both regular and ad-hoc financial, operational and statistical analyses. As a result, members of the team receive significant exposure to the overall business and develop networks and working relationships across the organization.
Under the guidance of the Sr. Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, the Financial Analyst will serve as a business partner to both corporate and local leadership teams to drive an effective budgeting and planning process, support high-level analyses and facilitate the development and improvement of business processes.
(Use bullets for specific responsibilities)
- Create financial models to support business decisions
- Develop and proactively evolve reporting in response to business needs
- Track and analyze key financial and operational business metrics
- Play an active role in the monthly reporting process inclusive of but not limited to:
- Assist in the collection/preparation of hospital statistics
- Validate the accuracy of financial results as part of the month-end close and reporting process (including reporting out to external parties)
- Key contributor to both the long-term (3-5 year) and short-term (annual) budgeting and monthly forecasting processes
- Be involved in leading/managing projects at various levels within the organization.
- Create and enhance financial processes, guidelines and policies
- Be an active participant in the implementation of analytical modules within the Kaufman Hall system (Productivity, Financial Planning, Cost Accounting) and continue support of said modules thereafter
- Continuous support of assigned hospitals including but not limited to:
- Monthly close financial packages
- Ad hoc reporting and variance analysis
- Targeted hospital and system-wide financial projects
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
- Experience with financial statement analysis
- Superior analytical, prioritization and problem solving skills as well as the ability to critically evaluate and synthesize complex processes and large sets of data for trend analysis, operations improvement, and root cause analysis.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to effectively multi-task, make tradeoffs, take initiative, and prioritize within a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Collaborative team-player with strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to cooperate with people at all levels
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Familiarity with data table structures and manipulating large data sets
- Ability to handle highly confidential information in a professional, mature manner
- Health care finance experience a plus, but not required
- SQL experience a plus, but not required
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting; Master's degree a plus
- Experience (Type & Length): 5+ years’ related experience required.
- Software/Hardware: Very strong proficiency with Excel (financial modeling & data aggregation, lookups, macros); proficiency in PowerPoint, Word and Outlook; experience with Kaufman Hall Axiom software a plus.