Senior Financial Analyst
Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Under the direction of the Manager of Financial Planning & Analysis, the Senior Financial Analyst is responsible for creating, analyzing and maintaining multiple practice financial statements to support SMG's strategic initiatives and overall performance. The optimal candidate for this role is a deadline-oriented person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. The Senior Financial Analyst is a key member of SMG's corporate team and is a significant contributor to achieving all its financial performance goals.
- Own financials for multiple specialty-aligned business units; be the subject matter expert on business unit activity.
- Produce accurate and timely financial reports and analysis, meeting organizational and departmental deadlines.
- Participate in monthly financial performance review with senior leadership and practice directors; possess clear and effective written and oral communication skills
- Develop financial models for productivity, compensation, and expense management control.
- Drive productivity and efficiency through collaboration with operational leaders to develop and publish financial and operational dashboards.
- Partner with operational leaders to create annual operating budgets, exercise critical thinking in identifying variances to plan and determining solutions to those variances.
- Ability to present financial information to a non-financial audience and be a proactive business partner.
- Assist in monthly financial close; calculate revenue and expense accruals and prepare journal entries for general ledger maintenance.
- Possess strong attention to detail with a focus on quality and accuracy.
- Use tact, sensitivity, and professionalism in communicating effectively and respectfully with leadership, physicians, and peers.
- Assist in mentoring other financial staff.
- Assist in steam-lining processes to improve efficiencies and reduce redundancy.
- Commitment to providing highest quality of work with compassion and respect.
- Perform other ad-hoc duties and projects as required for this job.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, information systems, or business management.
- 3-5 years' experience in Accounting or FP&A, healthcare experience preferred but not required.
- Experience in analyzing written commentary at the "C-Suite" level on budget and forecast variances.
- Experience with financial systems such as Axiom, Meditech and/or Lawson financial modules, and/or Athena EMR preferred but not required.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting and communication skills are required.
- Strong understanding of financial concepts and accounting best practices; modeling experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and take initiative in implementing process efficiencies.
- Confidentiality is required.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.