Service Line Leader, OR
About Steward Health Care
We are fighting for a healthier world and a new era of wellness!
Nearly a decade ago, we set out to build an entirely different kind of health care company from the ground up—one that unlocks access to affordable, high-quality, and economically sustainable care and wellness in ways never imagined. Today, we are one of the largest private, physician-led health care networks—caring for millions of people across the U.S. Our transformative, fully integrated model represents a new beginning for America’s health care system and others around the world.
We have hospitals across 7 states serving over 800 communities, with more than 43,000 employees. We are ushering in a new day of world class health care. From renowned pediatricians, sports medicine specialists and cardiac surgeons to state-of-the-art hospitals, urgent care centers and medical practices, we can offer easier access to high-quality affordable health care to people nationwide — when they need it and where they want it.
St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, a Boston University Teaching Hospital, provides patients and families access to some of Boston’s most respected physicians and advanced treatments offering specialized care, including:
- Advanced Center for Cardiac Surgery
- da Vinci® Robotic surgery program; Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Award-winning bariatric surgery program
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
- State-of-the-art emergency care with short wait times
Our medical staff, made up of some of the highest rated physicians in Boston, treats patients in our community practices in neighborhoods, including Allston, Boston, Brighton, Brookline, Newton, Watertown and Weston.
- 100% employer paid defined benefit retirement plan
- Lowest cost health insurance, high quality BCBS
- Grow with a health system that supports career advancement
- Competitive Pay & Salary Increases
- Employee Referral Program
- Locations close to home, that support work-life balance
- Affordable Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401k via Fidelity, for eligible employees, with company match
- Tuition Assistance / Reimbursement
- Family atmosphere and team approach that provides flexibility
- Opportunities to grow your career, and not change your employer
- And much more!
Service Line Leader – Operating Room
36 Hrs/Wk, Day shift, On-Call, Holidays as needed, no weekends, On Call Required
To be part of our organization, every employee understands shares and supports the Mission and Values of SEMC. These values - Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence & Stewardship - must guide what we do as individuals and professionals every day. The Service Line Leader is a Registered Nurse who works under the direction and supervision of the OR Manager to support surgeons practicing at SEMC in the service line and to facilitate surgical service excellence in the specialty(ies) assigned.
- BSN, CNOR preferred, Master's degree preferred, BLS certified
Massachusetts as a Registered Nurse
Other: - Required
Service line leader required for the general and GYN service, must work a minimum of three days per week, 2 years of experience in general or GYN service line, responsible for appropriate PAR levels of supplies, develop and maintain preference cards and training of new staff.
Experience in assigned surgical specialty(ies) required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Demonstrates proficiency in the surgical specialty(ies) assigned.
• Demonstrates proficiency in basic computer programs.
• Knowledge of AORN Standards & Guidelines for Perioperative Services
• Highly organized with attention to detail.
• Skilled in managing large amounts of information in a clear, thorough manner.
• Capable of working independently.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Adaptable and able to respond quickly and adequately to constant change.
• Works in collaboration with Perioperative Materials Management to set par levels and prepare for upcoming cases.
• Participates in daily scheduling review with OR Management Team and Materials Management to plan for upcoming cases (1-5 days ahead of time).
• Works with vendors to ensure compliance with Corporate Value Analysis process.
• Orders supplies as necessary.
• Ensures a non-charge purchase order is signed with vendors when trialing a new product
• Maintains any just in time inventory by vendor of specialty services by keeping an inventory of on-hand items.
• Participates in the biannual inventory count in the OR and takes lead for counting process of surgical specialty inventory.
• Ensures preference cards are current.
• Maintains constant awareness of the daily surgical schedules to proactively problem-solve any issue.
• Forecasts every week ahead so that equipment is not double scheduled on any day. If there is a conflict, works with the office to rearrange patients within the block to resolve conflicts and communicates the plan to appropriate parties.
• Partners with surgeons and inter/intradepartmental leaders to support staff training, as needed.
• Meets routinely with specialty chief(s) for OR schedule (forecast) and improvement opportunities review.
• Creates and edits specialty preference cards, and orients OR team to the identified preferences.
Professional Development of Staff
• Works in collaboration with CPD to coordinate required instrumentation.
• Partners with Perioperative Educator to develop specialty(ies) orientation checklists and competencies for new grads, inexperienced and experienced RNs and those with OR experience.
• Arranges or provides in-services on any pertinent new products, equipment, etc.
• Assists staff with adherence to AORN Standards and Guidelines for Perioperative Practice.
• Builds an engaged team based on trust.
• Serves as a role model.
• Participates in P1 initiatives.
• Promotes a high reliability organization.
• Exercises sound judgement and decision-making skills.
• Demonstrates competencies in assigned surgical specialty(ies).
• In collaboration with OR leadership, contributes to the development of the capital budget for the specialty(ies) service
• Obtains preference cards from specialty surgeons and maintains preference cards for co
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex