Social Worker, LICSW, full time, days
This position is 40 hours per week from 8:00a - 4:30p.
Summary of Responsibility:
Responsible for identifying and evaluating the social, emotional and mental health needs of patients, collaborating with the interdisciplinary team in the formation of the individual patient’s overall plan of care, coordinating the discharge process.
- Licensed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Must have a BA in Social Work or other related discipline from an accredited university.
- At least two (2) years experience in a health care setting.
- Possess working knowledge of state and federal programs.
- Possess general knowledge of community health and social resources preferred.
- Completes timely and thorough psychosocial history for each admission, identifying and evaluating personal, social, family and mental health issues that may impact the patient’s recovery process and/or discharge planning
- Acts as primary resource for patient/family emotional support, patient mental health needs and behavior management
- Facilitates completion of Health Care Proxy and other legal documents, including but not limited to supporting decisions surrounding Advance Care Planning
- Collaborates with consultant psychiatrist to facilitate appropriate treatment of patient mental illness and/or substance abuse disorders as requested by patient and/or licensed independent provider
- Coordinates patient discharge process in collaboration with interdisciplinary team
- In collaboration with Rehab Services and Nursing Director, serves as liaison between interdisciplinary team and managed care contracts to ensure appropriate length of stay and community follow up
- Coordinates Discharge/care planning meetings with patients, families and interdisciplinary team members
- Assists patients/families in identifying and contacting preferred community resources and ensures appropriate referrals are placed and confirmed prior to patient discharge - resources include but are not limited to VNA, personal care, homemaking, transportation, specialty equipment, and counseling/mental health services
- Provides support to patients who may not be able to return to the community and assists in identifying appropriate alternative living situations
- Provides assistance to patients and families in identifying and contacting resources for guardianship, Mass Health applications, estate planning, etc. as needed
- Collaborates with MDS Coordinator to ensure timely completion of Social Service sections of MDS including interviews and CAAs
- Participates in education of staff re identification and management of patient behaviors, mental health disorders, substance abuse disorders
- Assists with investigations into patient complaints and/or grievances as needed - provides support and reassurance for patients and families
- Conducts program evaluation and post-discharge data inquiries by mail and/or phone, compiles results monthly and presents to QAPI committee
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Ability to sit up to 70% of working hours intermingled with standing and walking.
- Frequent (>25 times daily) lifting and carrying supplies and charts up to approximately 30 lbs.
- Frequent (>30 times) twisting, bending, reaching, stooping, pushing and pulling.
- Pushing patients (up to 300 lbs.) in wheelchairs an average of 3-4 times a day.
- Hand dexterity both left and right for simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation.
- Stair ascending and descending up to approximately twenty times a day.
- Using a keyboard and computer approximately six hours a day.
- Patient rooms and office environments.
- Exposure to dust, variable temperature and humidity.
- Exposure to contagious disease, body fluids, and cleaning materials.
- Sitting at a desk and working on a computer with telephone usage approximately six hours a day.