Location: Steward Health Care
Posted Date: 2/10/2021
(Briefly describe the overall purpose of this position - Why does it exist and how does it contribute to the overall organization?)
As an integrated, cost-effective accountable care organization, Steward is committed to providing the highest quality of patient care in the communities where our patients live. Steward is widely recognized as a national leader in implementing a new model of integrated health care delivery. Steward’s model takes care of patients from wellness and care management all the way through their end of life.
The Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team provides analysis and reports to help the system make informed and timely strategic decisions. The FP&A team also connects to and collaborates with all business units across the system supporting both regular and ad-hoc financial, operational and statistical analyses. As a result, members of the team receive significant exposure to the overall business and develop networks and working relationships across the organization.
Under the guidance of the Manager, the Senior Financial Cost Analyst will implement cost allocation methodologies to provide an effective profitability analysis and reporting tool (based on direct and indirect cost as well as inpatient and outpatient service lines), support high-level analyses and facilitate the improvement of profitability determinations.
(Use bullets for specific responsibilities)
- Analyze current state of cost accounting methodology and develop future state methodology.
- Manage projects, priorities, and timelines for completing future cost account methodology
- Partner with hospital leadership to perform adhoc analysis and support business decisions
- Develop and proactively evolve reporting in response to business needs
- Track and analyze financial performance based on inpatient and outpatient service lines
- Play an active role in the monthly/quarterly/annual costing processes inclusive of uploading necessary data in the costing from payroll or general ledger
- Be involved in leading/managing projects at various levels within the organization.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
- Experience with financial statement analysis and/or cost accounting
- Superior analytical, prioritization and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to critically evaluate and synthesize complex processes and large sets of data for trend analysis, operations improvement, and root cause analysis.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to effectively multi-task, make tradeoffs, take initiative, and prioritize within a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Collaborative team-player with strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to cooperate with people at all levels
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Familiarity with data table structures and manipulating large data sets
- Ability to handle highly confidential information in a professional, mature manner
- Health care finance/costing experience a plus, but not required
- SQL experience a plus, but not required
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or Health Service Administration; Master's degree a plus
- Experience (Type & Length): 5+ years’ related experience required.
- Software/Hardware: Very strong proficiency with Excel (financial modeling & data aggregation, lookups, macros); proficiency in PowerPoint, Word and Outlook; experience with Kaufman Hall Axiom Costing or other Health Care Costing applications preferred.