Sr. Human Resources Manager
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals.
The Steward Arizona Market encompasses 4 hospitals. Mountain Vista Medical Center is a 178-bed, state-of-the-art hospital located in east Mesa, Arizona, offering comprehensive health care services, including emergency care, heart care, advanced surgical procedures, orthopedics, breast care, maternity care, and women’s services. Florence Hospital, a campus of Mountain View Medical Center, is a 36-bed hospital offering emergency care, as well as surgical, imaging and laboratory services to residents of Pinal County. Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital is a 74-bed full-service hospital located in the heart of Tempe, near Arizona State University, the hospital offers a broad range of medical services to care for a diverse and dynamic community. St. Luke’s Behavioral Health Center, a 127-bed facility, has been providing both inpatient and outpatient behavioral health services to children, adolescents, adults and seniors since 1969.
The Sr. Human Resources Managers will partner with the Vice President, Human Resources to plan, direct and manage the Human Resources (HR) function in the Steward Arizona Market. The Sr. Manager will provide strategic and operational HR solutions to support the needs of the business. The Sr. Manager will function as a strategic business partner to the hospital leadership teams and as a mentor for the HR Team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with Vice President, Human Resources to implement the HR strategic and operational plans that support the goals of the business.
- Acts as a hand-on Market HR leader and business partner to drive change and enable strategic business goals for the Market.
- Consults with and advises leadership and management staff on HR issues including employee and labor relations, compliance, training, performance management, leadership development, compensation administration, policies and procedures, conflict resolution, and terminations.
- Supervises, supports, and mentors Human Resources staff at each facility.
- Works with hospital leadership and VP of HR to develop/modify strategies and programs to more effectively meet business needs and align with the culture.
- Acts as a culture and change steward. Recognizes, articulates, and helps shape the culture of the Market.
- Provides guidance, coaching and support for escalated employee relations matters.
- Analyzes relevant market factors, including compensation packages, shift differential and sign on bonuses to ensure market is competitive.
- Assumes responsibility for successfully complying with all federal, state and local employment laws; regulatory requirements, including DNV; Department of Labor; EEOC; ADA, immigration legislation, affirmative action goals and HR policies.
- Demonstrates ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with management executives, department heads, mid- and lower level management, employees, representatives from community/regulatory agencies, and members of the general public.
- Proactively obtains, interprets, and presents metrics and analysis to business leaders to inform decisions on performance, attrition, vacancies, employment engagement, and other data, as applicable.
- Prepares analytical and statistical reports for management.
- Work in concert with facility leadership to provide a safe and secure working environment and maintain compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Industrial Psychology or related field, or equivalent training and experience required. Advanced degree and or Human Resources Certification Institute certification desired, but not required.
- Knowledge of human resources practices, laws and regulations required.
- Two to five years of experience as a Human Resources Manager required. Minimum of two years’ experience in a healthcare setting.
- Previous experience in a for-profit setting strongly preferred.
- Excellent counseling, verbal and written communication skills required. Computer literacy required.
- Must be willing to travel to all hospitals in Arizona.