Staff Nurse RN
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country’s largest physician-led, tax paying, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
For more information, visit www.steward.org.
MHW- full-time, 40 hrs/wk (Night Shift), every other weekend, holidays as needed
I. Position Function:
Under the direction of the Patient Care Director of his/her Registered Nurse designee, the Mental Health Worker (MHW) performs a variety of duties related to the clinical care of psychiatric patients.
II. Job Relationships:
Supervised by and/or reportable to the following by job category:
- Patient Care Director and his/her Registered Nurse designee.
- Routinely interacts and collaborates with members of the psychiatric interdisciplinary
Treatment team including nurses, medical staff, social workers, and OT and RT. staff.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
And patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
Participates in patient admission and discharge process by performing the following duties:
- Accurately obtains and records admission vital signs, height and weight, and documents these on the Nursing Assessment Form.
- Records and processes patient belongings and valuables on admission and at discharge.
- Orients patients to the physical layout of the unit, milieu staff, unit rules, schedules and
Patient’s rights, and documents this on the Nursing Assessment form.
Participates in implementing the interdisciplinary treatment plan for individual patients by performing the following duties:
- Accurately monitors, reports, and documents routine vital signs as assigned.
- Accurately monitors, reports and documents patient intake and output as assigned.
- Assists with the collection of routine specimens.
- Assists in all aspects of basic nursing care utilizing, i.e., bed-making, patient transfers with knowledge of proper body mechanics.
- Assists patients as needed with activities of daily living (ADLs) including eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, ambulating and all aspects of personal hygiene and care.
- Assists and monitors patient's adherence to pre and post-test protocols and ECT procedures as determined by the Registered Nurse.
- Escorts patients to and from unit for tests and activities as needed.
- Performs and documents patient safety checks at scheduled intervals per assignment.
- Performs 1:1 observation for high risk patients as assigned.
- Participates in limit setting with patients and other de-escalation techniques.
- Assists in a team approach to provide physical control of patients in a crisis situation,
Including assisting with implementation of restraints and/or seclusion.
- Assists in medical emergencies as directed.
- Monitors and promptly communicates all observations or information relative to patient's safety or clinical status or treatment to Patient Care Director or his/her Registered Nurse designee and documents information as needed in Progress Notes.
- Prepares daily patient related information sheets as assigned.
- Participates in interdisciplinary treatment planning meetings and patient conferences by sharing patient related observations/information.
- May co-lead community meeting and therapeutic groups for patients as designated by the Patient Care Director.
Participates in maintaining a safe and therapeutic environment on the unit by the following:
- Monitors the overall milieu per assignment and reports any patient or environmental issues which might impact on patient care or patient/staff safety.
- Maintains proper professional demeanor with patients, families, visitors, and co-workers.
- Utilizes principles of Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) in managing high risk situations.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness, sanitation and orderliness of unit.
- Is dependable and punctual in reporting to work.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
Functions as a resource person for orienting staff, students, visitors and families.
Assists with answering unit phone and monitoring access to the unit when needed.
Performs related duties as needed.
V. Reporting Requirements:
Reports immediately to the Patient Care Director or his/her Registered Nurse designee, the following:
- Any unusual occurrence related to patients, staff, self, or visitor.
- Any change or question of change in a patient's clinical condition.
- Incidents and/or breaches in quality of care.
- Incidents and/or breaches in patient's civil rights.
- Observations related to environmental safety or equipment maintenance or development of a potential crisis situation.
The Mental Health Worker shall be accountable for the following:
- Maintains the confidentiality and security of all Medical Center-related, staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
- Abides by all Nursing and Department of Psychiatry policies and procedures.
- Abides by all relevant Medical Center policies and procedures, including infection control.
- Keeps informed of each patient's physical, mental, legal status, assigned observation and privilege level and daily nursing care plan.
- Keeps proper patient identification by requesting patient name and checking ID bands
Consistently when interacting with milieu.
- Facilitates fiscal control by an awareness of cost control efforts.
- Continues maintenance and develops skill level in patient care through attendance at
In-service education and clinical supervision.
High school diploma; additional college education preferred.
One to two years nursing assistant, er tech, mental health worker experience required. And/or
enrolled in a Bachelor of Psychology, social work or human service-related bachelor program
Interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to competently interact with patients and interdisciplinary professional team.
Ability to identify patient behaviors requiring intervention.
Ability to manage the stress and pace of an acute psychiatric setting.
Ability to perform basic physical care.
CPI training within first six months required
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 122497