Staff Registered Nurse - Float - Per Diem
TITLE: STAFF RN
REPORTS TO: Clinical Manager
The Staff Nurse is an individual who holds ultimate responsibility for direct and indirect nursing care through the utilization of the nursing process. The Staff Nurse provides individualized, goal-directed nursing care through use of the nursing process and practices within the guidelines of the Nurse Practice Act and the Standards, Policies and Procedures of Carney Hospital. He/she reports to the Clinical Manager or designee.
· Completes patient assessment data within 8 hours of admission or in accordance with specific unit standard.
· Identifies and documents nursing diagnosis/problem list on patient plan of care within 8 hours of admission.
· Identifies and documents patient/family/significant other teaching needs upon admission. (including barriers/strategies/outcomes)
· Identifies discharge planning needs of patient/family/significant other at time of admission.
· Identifies and anticipates needs of patient/family as they move through the hospitalization process.
· Plan of care includes nursing diagnosis/problem list statement for each identified problem
· Develops patient/family/significant other teaching and discharge plans that are driven by the needs of patient/family.
and procedures as necessary for the care of the patient.
· Demonstrates knowledge of Carney Hospital policies and procedures/protocols for administering, transcribing and recording medications.
· Demonstrate knowledge of commonly used meds: action, dose and side effects
· Observes 5 R’s for administering meds:
- right patient
- right drug
- right dose
- right method
- right time
· Demonstrated proper procedures in all methods of medication administration
· Monitors patients response and intervenes appropriately
· Provides effective pain management to include:
- documentation of location, character and duration
- timely appropriate interventions
· Administers blood and blood products following Carney Hospital policy and procedures
· Documents narcotics use according to Carney Hospital policy and procedure
· Assess, maintains and documents IV access according to Carney Hospital policy and procedures
· Identifies patients at risk for falls and implements fall prevention program as appropriate
· Delivers culturally competent care being sensitive to issues related to culture, race, gender, sexual orientation, and socio-economic class
· Provides emotional support to the patient/family
· Considers patient’s spiritual needs and appropriately consults Spiritual Care Services
· Effectively teaches the patient/family about the disease, disease process, procedures, medications, food drug interactions, activity progression and when to call M.D.
· Collates and integrates multiple sources of data
· Recognizes the limits of clinical judgment and seeks interdisciplinary collaboration and consultation
· Maintains a global grasp of situations, and utilizes nursing skills acquired through a process of integrating formal and experiential knowledge
· Functions appropriately during medical emergencies.
· Demonstrates willingness to assume charge nurse role as required
· Delegates responsibility based on patient care needs, skills and competence of the caregiver.
· Identifies and/or assumes activities relative to the developmental needs of the unit and the nursing department
· Demonstrates dependability/flexibility in meeting scheduling needs of the unit and Hospital
· Seeks opportunities to participate in decision making regarding standards, policies, practice and/or education
· Demonstrates knowledge and principles of Performance Improvement works as a team member to achieve Performance Improvement
· Participates in a minimum of 50% of staff meetings.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
A. Compassion: Demonstrates a genuine concern for others (including patients and co-workers), and a willingness to continually seek to alleviate suffering, problems or other obstacles which impede the patient’s progress.
B. Advocacy: Acts as an advocate in addressing the needs of patients, employees, visitors, volunteers, the poor and the community.
C. Respect: Demonstrates a high regard for the worth of each individual person by showing respect to patients, families, visitors and co-workers. Evidences respect for and sensitivity to the cultural, ethnic and racial diversity of others.
13. CORE Work Behavior
· Accepts reassignments at the request of the supervisor, and performs additional duties.
· Cooperates with other staff in completing assignments as deemed appropriate by the supervisor.
· Participates by offering practical suggestions in a constructive manner on how to improve service within the department or hospital.
affairs, personnel and other matters.
· Maintains the confidentiality of patient, personnel, department and hospital information without exception.
· Dealings with others are straight forward and honest and demonstrates integrity in all instances.
G. Customer Service: Demonstrates on a daily basis a commitment to the principles of customer service.
· Performs work responsibilities in a manner that is consistently patient (customer) oriented.
· Strives to provide patient (customer) with compassionate service regardless of circumstances.
· Adheres to the values of courtesy, sensitivity, responsiveness, and professionalism in all interactions.
· Is open-minded and respectful of cultural beliefs, values and practices.
· Communicates effectively and respectfully, either through an interpreter or attentive listening.
I. Acts in a manner consistent with the Absence From Work Policy (951-15).
· Adheres to Absence From Work Policy (#951-15).
· Arrives at workstation, at scheduled time, prepared to work.
· Employee completes all mandated orientation regarding Carney Hospital Safety, JCAHO, Hazardous Communications, OSHA and Blood Born Pathogen Regulations. Attends all mandated ongoing train-
ing/inservice programs as required by the hospital, with 100% compliance.
· The individual shows 100% compliance with all safety, life safety, and equipment management programs set forth by this institution in order to maintain a functionally safe environment for all patients, personnel, and visitors as required by JCAHO or any regulatory agencies.
K. Adheres to hospital and departmental dress codes, according to policy.
· Adheres to hospital and departmental dress codes, according to policy, with no more than one formal verbal warning per year.