Staff RN, Adult Psych, # 21854, 32hrs, 3pm-11:30 EOW
Location: Holy Family Hospital
Posted Date: 1/24/2020
This position is covered by the MNA Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Follows appropriate lines of communication to effectively resolve difficult patient/family/physician/staff situations.
- Responds promptly and courteously to customer (Internal & external)/patient requests.
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages.
- Respects patient/customer privacy and confidentiality.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for own actions with appropriate follow through. Fulfills commitments.
- Consistently presents a positive attitude in working with internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates service excellence skills to support high level patient satisfaction as defined by department manager.
- Responds appropriately and immediately in emergency situations.
- Maintains a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors, and/or staff to provide the highest level of physical comfort, and minimize risk and injury.
- Ensures compliance with regulations to maintain accreditation, licensure and certification.
- Completed all Hospital and Department Specific Mandatory requirements in the prior calendar year.
- Demonstrates knowledge and follows JCAHO Patient Safety Goals.
- Supports department specific patient safety and quality initiatives as defined by department manager.
- Understands and adheres to Merrimack Valley Health Care's compliance standards and policies as they appear in CCHCS' Corporate Compliance Program, Code of Conduct and Business Ethics; sponsors and implements initiatives to achieve the System's compliance goals.
- Models behavior consistent with CCHCS's Corporate Compliance Program, Code of Conduct and Business Ethics; ensures that staff are trained and evaluated on their knowledge of and adherence to compliance policies and standards specific to their jobs.
- Supports hospital and system-wide patient quality and safety practices as identified by National Quality Forum, JCAHO and system-wide Quality and Safety Plan.
- Fosters interdisciplinary, collaborative relationships within the department and the organization.
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively building a positive team spirit.
- Makes timely and appropriate decisions in the face of conflicting demands and interests.
- Is open, honest and trustworthy; able to acknowledge making a mistake.
- Understands own weaknesses & limitations and works to improve upon them.
- Readily adapts to change and welcomes new approaches when circumstances demand it.
- Utilizes the departmental process to find the most appropriate solution to challenges.
- Exhibits respectful awareness of others' feelings and demonstrates willingness to help others.
- Supports patient care needs in adhering to attendance policies with regards to tardiness, absences, and vacation scheduling.
- Presents a positive reflection on the hospital and its Core Values
- Follows hospital standards of work (i.e., dress code, name badge, and parking).
- Assesses (and reassesses), plans, implements, and evaluates nursing interventions/plans of care/patient goals.
- Provides patient care based on standards of care, standards of practice, protocols, and established policies and procedures.
- Respects each patient as an individual; provides care that fosters the patient's sense of dignity and positive self-regard.
- Provides patient/family teaching based on identified learning needs, readiness to learn, and barriers to learning.
- Collaboratively plans and prepares patient/family for discharge incorporating support systems/resources as necessary.
- Appropriately delegates and supervises nursing interventions performed by others.
- Appropriately prioritizes patient care (e.g. seeks assistance as needed from appropriate resources, reassigns personnel as necessary, recognizes need for emergency intervention, etc.).
- Provides thorough, timely, and accurate documentation of all pertinent data, therapeutic interventions and patient responses including assessment, care plan, patient goals, and interventions according to established standards.
- Provides timely and thorough transfer of nursing care on assigned patients to other health care team members to ensure integration of services and continuity of patient care.
- Assumes accountability for remaining current regarding standards of care established by the profession, regulatory and accreditation bodies and hospital policies and procedures.
- Promotes learning for colleagues and self (e.g. functions as preceptor, instructor, trainer, attends professional development programs, etc.).
- Proactively identifies risk to patient safety and identifies opportunities to reduce medical/health care errors (i.e., appropriate reporting of errors/incidents).
- Identifies ethical issues in care and implements actions to address.
- Safely administers medications in accordance with physician's orders, protocols, policies and procedures.
- Assesses patient pain level upon admission and as necessary, utilizing the pain scale (eg., numerical, FACES, and functional goals.)
- Reassesses effectiveness of pain control and notifies physicians as needed, as well as, documents assessment and patients' response to medication.
- Demonstrates competency in restraint and seclusion per CBM policy and Department of Mental Health standards.
- Performs and documents ongoing physical, educational and psychoeducational needs of the psychiatric patient.
- Provides backup for admissions coordinator.
- Performs patient safety checks according to unit policy.
- Identifies patients who are at risk for suicide and takes appropriate action to ensure the safety of the patient and the unit.
- Takes part in the multidisciplinary team in the implementation of the Patient Plan of Care.
- BSN required
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
- Current nursing registration in Massachusetts required.
- Demonstrated clinical competence in the specialty area of nursing practice preferred.
- BCLS required.
- At least 1 year experience in psychiatric nursing preferred.