Sterile Processing Technician, Certified Full Time Evenings
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
***Sterile Processing Technician, Certified 32hrs/Evenings
• Performs with minimum supervision all activities relating to the sterile processing and inventory management of surgical sets, equipment, medical supplies, endoscopy and linen in support of Morton Hospital and satellite customers. Responsible for direct support function of Inventory Management in the areas of SPD stock levels, OR case cart management, and Patient Care Procedure Carts. Monitors and documents all aspects of sterile processing procedures to ensure the highest level of quality assurance standards are performed accurately. Requires schedule flexibility to work alternate shifts, weekends, and holidays to accommodate staffing needs.
• Performs processing techniques in accordance with AAMI and JCAHO standards and Infection Control Guidelines in the sterilization of surgical instrumentation, sets, equipment, expendable medical supplies, and linen.
o Demonstrates knowledge of proper methods of the decontamination of surgical instruments, endoscopes, and equipment.
o Demonstrates knowledge of proper preparation, assembly and packaging using rigid container, peel pouches and wraps.
o Demonstrates knowledge of the application of the proper HLD and sterilization methods conducive to the items being processed or sterilized.
INSTRUMENT, EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES: ASSEMBLY AND PREPARATION
• Applies numerous preparation techniques to insure sterilization and damage prevention.
• Inspects items for serviceability and function.
• Inspects sets and packages to ensure integrity and proper preparation.
• Testing, monitoring, handling, and loading of items for sterilization using Prev Vac/Gravity Steam, Sterrad, Steris Sterilizers and HLD
o Demonstrates proper loading techniques.
o Demonstrates proper handling techniques.
o Demonstrates proper testing procedures
o Demonstrates proper monitoring procedures.
• Reorder, storage, location, and distribution of processed and stocked items in SPD.
• Fills surgical Case Carts in support of surgical services (OR and Day Surgery).
• Restocks Patient Care Procedure Carts in support of clinics, PCA and unit departments.
• Restocks department stock par levels.
SPD EMPLOYEE EDUCATION AND TRAINING COMPLIANCE
• Attends all mandatory department in-service programs and regularly attends department meetings and educational in-services.
o Attends or follows up on all mandatory in-services directly job related.
o Attends or follows up on department issues and information dissemination.
o Annotates and records all instructional or informative hard copy education.
o Displays interest and participatory attitude related to Quality Improvement Programs.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
• Maintains an informed awareness and familiarity with various reference Policies and Procedures maintained in the Department.
o Department Policies and Procedures.
o Morton Hospital Policies and Procedures.
o Steward Healthcare Policies
• Demonstrates support of departmental professionalism and teamwork.
o Provides exemplary support of Department Teamwork
o Reports to work on schedule and on time.
o Adheres to Steward Healthcare policy of Use of Earned Time.
o Provides support of department customers in the application of communication, prioritization and technical reference guidance to internal and external hospital staff.
o Displays willingness to assist in unassigned areas in response to workload cycles.
o Completes all assigned tasks accurately and efficiently.
o Performs all job assignments applying proper work safety techniques of ergonomics, body mechanics and PPE/Infection Control Principles.
• Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Knowledge of Sterile technique, sterilization. Care and handling of surgical instrumentation, tray preparation and special procedure items.
• Ability to operate all sterilization equipment
• Ability to comply with all department and hospital procedures and policies
• Ability to read, write and speak English clearly
• Good written and oral skills, knowledge of medical terminology required
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to act in respectful and professional manner at all times even under stressful situations
I. Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
II. Experience: 1 year experience as Sterile Processing/CPD Tech
III. Certification/Licensure: Active Certified/Registered Central Supply Technician (CRCST) status
IV. Software/Hardware: Meditech, MS word, MS Excel
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Morton Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.