At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion, and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Student Nursing Assistant – Float Pool – Per Diem | Holiday Shifts Required | BLS Required
- Position Function:
- The Nursing Assistant performs basic patient care activities as delegated by the registered Nurse, which assist the nursing staff in providing for quality patient care.
- Job Relationships:
- Supervised and/or reportable to the following, by job category:
- Patient Care Director or designee
- Registered Nurse
- Must be able to collaborate and effectively communicate with Registered Nurses and other health care professionals.
- To give basic patient care as delegated by the Registered Nurse, as well as other assigned tasks.
- Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
- Performs all patient care activities under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Functions in the role of assistant to the nursing staff or to the Registered Nurse.
- Performs non-nursing functions which impact and contribute to the quality of patient care as directed by the Registered Nurse.
- Provides and maintains a safe and comfortable environment for the patient:
- Assists patients getting in and out of bed.
- Orients patient to call l light and side rails, maintains accessibility and answers call light in a timely fashion.
- Stays with restless patients
- Makes and instructs in the use of cough pillows.
- Assists in the collection of medical data, vital signs.
- Assists the Registered Nurse with specific components of admission, transfer, and discharge of patients:
- Preparation of the unit.
- Transferring patient to bed.
- Assembling patients' belongings.
- Accompanying patients as directed.
- Assists the Registered Nurse with ADLs:
- Partial bed baths, assistance with shower and sit baths, as appropriate for patient.
- Fills water pitchers serves nourishments.
- Records intake and output.
- Assists with collection of specimens.
- Documents vital signs, I&O on appropriate forms.
- Disposes of trash and linen on an ongoing basis.
- May be required to float, within competencies, to other units, as needed.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with infectious diseases policy and procedures:
- Appropriately cares for patients on precautions.
- Uses protective measures as deemed appropriate.
- Separates infectious materials and disposes of them appropriately.
- Complies with Patient Safety goals as set forth by the medical center.
- Reporting Requirements:
- Reports immediately to Patient Care Director or delegate any deviation of normal operations.
- Reports immediately to supervisor of an unusual occurrence related to patients, other staff, and self.
- Reports immediately to the Registered Nurse or delegate of any change in the patient’s conditions.
- Reports to the Patient Care Director, situations that require attention.
- Reports all incidents and breaches in quality care to the Patient Care Director and delegate.
- Shall be accountable for patient care delivered.
- Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all hospital-related, medical staff-related and patient-related data and information.
- Shall be accountable for abiding by all relevant Medical Center Policies and Procedures.
- Shall be accountable for observing all policies and procedures of the unit, including Infection Control Policy and Procedures.
- Minimum Education:
- High School diploma or equivalency.
- Minimum Experience:
- Requires previous Nursing Assistant experience or for nursing students, one clinical rotation completed.
- Must be in senior year of nursing school.
- Minimum skills/abilities:
- Able to communicate verbally and in writing in the English language.
- Able to complete mathematical computations required to perform treatment protocols.
- Able to lift, transfer and move patients.
- Nursing Assistant Certification preferred.
- BLS required.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic
Important COVID message
Please note, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence, and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled, and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.