Location: Holy Family Hospital
Posted Date: 5/22/2020
The Substance Use Disorder Counselor is responsible for providing evidence based care to patients with substance use disorders.
- Complete comprehensive biopsychosocial assessments of patients referred for substance use disorder care.
- Determine, in collaboration with the treatment team the appropriate care for the patient based on the patient’s stage of readiness for change (precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance, and relapse).
- Conduct daily individual counseling sessions to address the patient’s needs based on the comprehensive biopsychosocial assessment using evidence-based approaches such as motivational interviewing and cognitive-behavioral therapies.
- Collaborate with social work on aftercare plans related to community-based resources to address legal, educational, vocational, housing, transportation, and family support needs.
- Identify resources and refer patient to community service provider, PCP, on-going substance abuse detox or maintenance, and other sources of recovery support and education.
- Lead/co-lead group counseling sessions utilizing various counseling approaches and formats (didactic, interactive, engagement worksheets) using evidence-based approaches such a cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Identify and complete all necessary releases to complete aftercare arrangements
- Develop a self-help plan for each patient including education and identification of local meetings
- Complete accurate and thorough documentation of assessments, groups, individual sessions and aftercare planning.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- At a minimum, certification in the care of the patient with substance use disorder such as a CADAC or a CARC is required.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Displays willingness and flexibility in learning new functions.
High school diploma with certification in the care of the substance use disorder patient
At least two years experience in substance abuse counseling role, preferably in-patient
Certification / Licensure:
CADAC, CARC and/or LADAC strongly preferred
Software / Hardware:
MS Office, MediTech