At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Provides administrative and technical leadership for Core Laboratory Services that includes: Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, Urinalysis, Transfusion Services, and Specimen Processing. Oversees the contracted courier service to ensure quality and consistency of service. Develops and administers policies and procedures in cooperation with the Medical Director of Laboratory Services to ensure the delivery of quality laboratory services. Under the general direction of the Administrative Laboratory Director and in conjunction with the Chief Pathologist, is responsible for supervising the daily operation of the assigned section of the Laboratory. Will also assist in maintenance and development of the laboratory computer system. All duties will be performed in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards, and will comply with criteria mandated by appropriate accrediting and licensing agencies.
- Hours: 20 per week
- Holidays Required: No
- Weekends Required: No
- Shift: Day Shift
- Work Schedule: 8am – 4:30pm Various Days
- Directs and coordinates the technical services of areas of responsibility to promote efficiency of operation and efficient utilization of personnel.
- Contributes to developing and implementing departmental/section policies. Communicates changes and educates employees of new and modified departmental and hospital policies/programs.
- As needed and requested by director, represents the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services in meetings with other administrative personnel in the hospital.
- Develops and implements, in concert with the director, policies, procedures and techniques relative to safety, infection and environmental control standards within areas of responsibility. Inspects department on an ongoing basis for compliance with established regulatory and accreditation standards to promote efficiency, health and safety of staff and patients; recommends corrective action as necessary.
- Supervises and coordinates functions and activities of all areas of the core laboratory: establishes work schedules to ensure efficiency of operations; identifies, evaluates and recommends means for improving systems. Communicates with healthcare providers to assure problems are resolved and needs are addressed.
- Organizes, maintains and monitors department supplies to ensure adequate inventory at all times. Evaluates and justifies equipment and supply needs; meets with vendors to discuss purchase of supplies and equipment; and participates with director in the negotiating of contracts and purchasing agreements.
- Assures that equipment is maintained and repaired. Assures complete documentation and tracking of all equipment related service issues.
- Assures compliance with CAP, TJC, FDA, OSHA, state and federal regulatory agencies and Carney Hospital policies and procedures.
- Recommends to department director short and long-term goals for areas of responsibility.
- Handles patient, physician and staff problems/complaints by phone, mail and in person. Refers as appropriate to department director. Informs department director of all incidents/occurrences.
- Demonstrates proper use of equipment and supplies according to established procedures. Keeps current in knowledge of state of the art laboratory equipment and technology.
- Assures all equipment maintenance is performed and documented properly. Assures maintenance records are properly reviewed and stored.
- Adheres to department/hospital policies and procedures in performing duties and assignments.
- Participates in various committees within the organization as assigned or in the absence of the Administrative Director. Attend a variety of meetings, discussions, seminars and workshops both within and outside the organizations as approved by the Laboratory Director.
- Develop, implement, and maintain positive working relationships and appropriate interactions with Physicians, various external agencies and personnel, various community organizations and services within the community in identifying and addressing various issues including but NOT limited to: quality of services provided, employee performance, community needs, scope of services, etc.
- Assigns and assesses staff competencies annually. Provides the Administrative Director with an overview of all staff competence annually.
- Creates core lab/blood bank staff schedules and maintains a sufficient staff level to ensure quality patient care and customer service.
- Disciplines staff with the Administrative Director and Chief of Pathology for non-compliance of CAP, TJC, and any other accrediting agency.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Proven managerial skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independent of supervision.
- Demonstrates knowledge in the field of laboratory medicine, and of laboratory tests available.
- Demonstrates required competency areas of laboratory operations for this position.
- Demonstrates effective skills to bring all technical, patient service, personnel problems or other operational issues to positive resolution.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in medical technology or related science from an accredited school.
- Experience (Type & Length): Minimum five years previous experience in chemistry/hematology laboratory with management and teaching responsibility.
- Certification/Licensure: Current registration as MLS (ASCP) or equivalent in the appropriate categorical or specialty certification is required.
- Other: N/A
Important COVID message
Please note, our Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously canceled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.