Surgical Assistant - Operating Room - Full Time
Responsible to Trumbull Regional Medical Center for supporting the corporate mission, vision and values. Responsible to Nursing Service and the Operating Room for supporting the nursing philosophy and providing high quality, comprehensive patient care. Responsible to the customer for courteous, accurate, timely service.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAJOR DUTIES
- Maintains Clinical competence and specific job knowledge and skill to perform functions on Surgical assistant competency checklist.
- Demonstrates skill in tissue handling, suturing, clamping and tying techniques.
- Provides exposure of the operative site through the appropriate use of retractors, suctioning and sponging techniques.
- Understands the progressive steps of a surgical procedure.
- Demonstrated knowledge of surgical anatomy and physiology.
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse in conjunction with the surgeon, provides high quality, cost effective care.
- Communicates effectively with patients, visitors, physicians, coworkers, nursing management, and other departments.
- Maintains established company/hospital policies, procedures, directives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control standards appropriate to this position.
- Demonstrates and understanding of and models the mission and core values of the Corporation through behavior and attitude.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflects the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work assignments that may be inherent in the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduate of an accredited surgical assisting program accredited through ARC/STSA. Previous experience as a Surgical Assistant required.
LICENSURE, REGISTRATION AND/OR CERTIFICATIONCertification in Surgical Assisting by ACR/STSA or ASPA required.