Surgical Tech - 30 Hours a Week (10 Hour Days)
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
The Surgical Technician is an individual who is assigned to and responsible for direct and indirect care during the inter-operative phase of the patient’s surgical experience. The Surgical Technician practices within the guidelines on the policies and procedures of Steward Carney Hospital..
Union and Steward Benefits to help you live well!
- Low cost Medical/Prescription Drug Insurance through BCBS
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401k via Fidelity for eligible employees with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Worldwide Travel Assistance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Utilizes knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the lifespan when assisting in preparing the patient for surgery. Uses a courteous manner
- Greets patient within ten seconds of arrival, introduces self and answers questions pleasantly
- Transfers and positions patient according to departmental guidelines, maintaining patient comfort safety and privacy
- Prepares operating room with the supplies and equipment appropriate to the scheduled case
- Gathers supplies for up to ten cases per day according to surgeon’s preference cards and completes set-up by the time patient is prepped
- Opens supplies using a septic technique guidelines
- Scrubs and dons surgical garb in accordance with department policy
- Sets up instruments, linens, sutures in accordance with O.R. policy
- Conducts instrument, sponge and needle counts
- Conducts instrument, sponge, and needle counts in accordance with O.R. policy and in conjunction with RN prior to incision and prior to closure
- Handles instruments correctly during surgery
- Monitors progress of case and anticipates instrument(s) surgeon will need
- Maintains neatness and cleanliness of table throughout surgery, cleaning instruments as needed
- Assists surgeon by appropriately handing instruments to him/her. Complies with other requests from surgeon such as suctioning, holding retractors, etc
- Practices aseptic technique as per O.R. policy 100% of the time
- Checks integrity of wrappers, expiration dates and sterility indicators ongoing per case
- Monitors self and surgical team for breaks in technique ongoing per case
- Practices care of specimens from each case in accordance with pathology requirements so that all specimens are handed off surgical field by end of case
- Receives specimens from surgeon throughout case and gently places in appropriate solution in accordance with pathology requirements
- Passes specimen off the sterile field to RN without breaking sterile technique
- Assists in identifying specimen for labeling purposes by relaying labeling information from surgeon to RN
- Washes and prepares instruments for sterilization after each case and assists in decontamination of O.R. prior to next case
- Washes instruments and equipment with designated cleaning agent in accordance with O.R. policy
- Disposes of dirty linen, trash and needles/sharps in accordance with universal precautions
- Puts extra unused supplies away in designate area
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to patients ranging in age from infancy through adolescence, adulthood and geriatrics
- Must possess the ability to anticipate the surgical needs of the patients age and to interpret appropriate information required to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age specific needs
- Demonstrate good judgment and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
Education / Experience / Licensure / Technical & Other Requirements:
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technician program
- One year previous experience preferred. Newly graduated Surgical Technicians will be accepted only after careful review of surgical experience and scholastic achievement.
- Certification as a Surgical Technician by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) required.
Important COVID message
Please note, Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Equal Employment Opportunity Notice:
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.