Surgical Tech- 36hrs/wk day and evenings
Surgical Technologist- full-time 36hrs/wk, day and evening, 12-hr shifts 11a-11p, BLS required, certification required, on call required.
We are fighting for a healthier world and a new era of wellness!
Nearly a decade ago, we set out to build an entirely different kind of health care company from the ground up—one that unlocks access to affordable, high-quality, and economically sustainable care and wellness in ways never imagined. Today, we are one of the largest private, physician-led health care networks—caring for millions of people across the U.S. Our transformative, fully integrated model represents a new beginning for America’s health care system and others around the world.
We have hospitals across 7 states serving over 800 communities, with more than 43,000 employees. We are ushering in a new day of world class health care. From renowned pediatricians, sports medicine specialists and cardiac surgeons to state-of-the-art hospitals, urgent care centers and medical practices, we can offer easier access to high-quality affordable health care to people nationwide — when they need it and where they want it.
St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, a Boston University Teaching Hospital, provides patients and families access to some of Boston’s most respected physicians and advanced treatments offering specialized care, including:
- Advanced Center for Cardiac Surgery
- da Vinci® Robotic surgery program; Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Award-winning bariatric surgery program
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
- State-of-the-art emergency care with short wait times
Our medical staff, made up of some of the highest rated physicians in Boston, treats patients in our community practices in neighborhoods, including Allston, Boston, Brighton, Brookline, Newton, Watertown and Weston.
- Grow with a health system that supports career advancement
- Competitive Pay & Salary Increases
- Employee Referral Program
- Locations close to home, that support work-life balance
- Affordable Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401k via Fidelity, for eligible employees, with company match
- Tuition Assistance / Reimbursement
- Family atmosphere and team approach that provides flexibility
- Opportunities to grow your career, and not change your employer
- And much more!
Job Summary –
The Surgical Technician is a trained professional who possesses technical skills in the OR area. The role encompasses technical skills of scrubbing and assisting with activities of the surgical area, clinical knowledge of a variety of OR-related duties (including pre, intra and post), clinical teaching skills, and continuous quality improvement. This position is to work in the neuro service line when cases are scheduled.
The Surgical Technician is a resource to other OR support staff and may assist with direct or indirect OR activities, supporting and promoting a variety of perioperative practice standards in accordance with AORN Standards/Recommendations. The Surgical Technician practices within the Philosophy and Mission of CSEMC.
- The surgical technician successfully completes an approved surgical technician program or equivalent.
- The surgical technician has experience with the surgical technician role and various activities of surgical practice.
- 2-3 years experience in an OR in a hospital setting, trauma experience preferred.
- Level 2 Surgical Technician: Required completion of 1 year experience as a Surgical Technician.
The surgical technician has experience with:
- Principles of aseptic technique.
- Standard Precautions.
- Creating/maintaining/monitoring a sterile field.
- Assembly/disassembly of surgical instrumentation, accessories related equipment used in
the surgical suite and related areas:
- Scrubbing, gowning, and gloving.
- Strong communication skills.
- Medical terminology, including comprehensive surgical instruments, accessories, inventory.
- Principles of sterilization, disinfection infection control.
- Must be able to read and write in English.
- Able to demonstrate the ability to comprehend complex surgical demands.
- Principles of patient positioning.
- Basic principles of anesthesia and medications used for surgical procedures.
- Basic principles of electricity.
- NBSTSA Certification Required, BLS required.
- Comprehensive Surgical Technician Orientation Program.
- Proven ability to synthesize and analyze complex situations and respond appropriately.
- Graduate from an approved program
- Consistently creates, maintains, and monitors a sterile field.
- Drapes with sterile technique in accordance with the surgeon preference.
- Adheres to standard precautions and the use of personal protective equipment.
- Familiar with equipment, instrumentation and supplies for basic procedures.
- Scrubs for simple procedures in most specialties.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgical team before, during, and after the procedure.
- Possesses in depth knowledge of one specialty service.
- Reviews preference cards and prepares accordingly for assigned procedures.
- Accountable for cost effective practice with regards to equipment and supplies.
- Identifies, and properly handles specimens for processing.
- Counts instruments, sharps, and sponges, before, during, and after procedures.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for reprocessing/sterilization.
- Familiar with the methods of sterilization: Steam, Steris, flash, ETO.
- Properly transfers, stores, and labels all medications on the field under the supervision of the circulating RN.
- Reacts appropriately in emergency patient situations by remaining scrubbed or performing as directed by the RN.
- Safeguards patient information and maintains patient confidentiality.
- Collaborates with the surgical team in the implementation of the plan of care for each patient.
- Recognizes and reports situations which impact patient safety.
- Participates in indirect patient care activities such as cart stocking, case cart completion etc.
- Facilitates efficient turnovers.
- Participates in mandatory annual training and scheduled in-services.
- Complies with policies and procedures of the Medical Center.
- Identifies individual self-learning needs and works with perioperative educator to seek appropriate experiences.
- Required completion of 1 year experience as a Surgical Technician
- Has successfully met the above essential functions.
- Eligible for certification as a Surgical Technician.
- Serves as a role model for professional perioperative practice in the Operating Room.
- Provides teaching, training, development and support to other staff in the perioperative area (ancillary staff, Operating Room Assistants, other surgical technicians, RNs, and CPD).
- Has completed all rotations and is competent in all surgical specialties.
- Takes call and proficiently scrubs for all surgical specialties, except cardiac.
- Exhibits in-depth expertise in more than one specialty.
- Assumes responsibility for precepting newer staff/students to the scrub role in basic and surgical specialties.
- Collaborates with the Director of Operative Services or designee to identify learning needs of orientee staff and assists with opportunities for teaching/learning programs, assists with competency based practice.
- Teaches scrubbing skills to perioperative nurses.
- Assists perioperative RNs in maintaining a service including updating kits and kit lists.
- Serves as a resource for surgical case bookings related to areas of expertise.
- Demonstrates ability to operate and trouble-shoot a variety of equipment used in the surgical suite.
- Required completion of 2- 3 years’ experience as a Surgical Technician.
- Has successfully met the above essential functions.
- Participates in development, implementation and evaluation of goals, standards, policies and procedures in perioperative area.
- Exhibits in-depth expertise in more than three specialties.
- Assumes responsibility for precepting newer staff/students to the scrub role in advanced surgical specialties, including laparoscopic, orthopedic, vascular, and neurosurgery.
- Assists the Perioperative Nursing Educator in the development/implementation/evaluation for teaching programs.
- Assists the Perioperative Nursing Educator in the development and implementation of competency based. Surgical Technician practice.
- In conjunction with perioperative RNs, takes an active role in technical management of 1-2 services.
- Prepares and conducts technical education sessions for all levels of perioperative personnel for specialty area in conjunction with Perioperative Educator and RNs.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.