Surgical Tech Operating Room Full-time
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit.
The Surgical Technician is a health professional working as a part of the team delivering surgical care. Surgical Technicians are members of the surgical team. They process knowledge, training, and skills in sterile and aseptic techniques and will scrub and assist on surgical procedures using the aseptic technique.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform work independently with minimal direction from the Registered Nurse
- Controls and maintains the environment of the surgical patient. Ensures traffic around the field is observed and controlled to maintain sterility. Disposes of waste properly, cleans equipment and instruments according to industry standards.
- Adheres to aseptic practice to create and maintain a sterile filed.
- Initiates corrective action when there is a break in aseptic technique.
- Inspects sterile items prior to opening for possible contamination or sterility expiration
- Maintains sterility while opening sterile items.
- Checks supplies, equipment, and instrumentation prior to the start of the case. Obtains supplies if missing.
- Follows policy and procedure to ensure patient safety
- Accurately performs counts as indicated by policy. Initiates corrective action if counts are incorrect.
- Demonstrated knowledge of departmental and ACORN policies and practices.
- Always functions as a patient advocate. Ensures patient safety.
- Assures all equipment is functioning properly prior to use and operates according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of the patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the scrub and assist role
- Properly drapes the patient.
- Passes instruments properly and anticipates needs of the surgeon and the case.
- Prepares sterile dressings.
- Gowns and gloves surgical team.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilizations with immediate spraying and opening of instruments prior to taking to the decontamination room.
- Assists others with room clean up and turnover as needed.
- Orients new staff/students as assigned in a professional and respectful manner.
- Takes call as needed.
- Works overtime as needed.
- Accurately reports implants to the circulator.
- Accurately identifies and handles specimens according to policy.
- Demonstrates responsibility in setting priorities when completing tasks
- Prioritizes work
- Promptly goes to room to check and open supplies at the beginning of the day and before all assigned cases.
- Assists in emergency situations as directed.
- Demonstrates a team approach to work
- Picks cases without being asked.
- Helps other staff when needed.
- Active participant in patient identification, correct surgical procedure and site/side confirmation in conjunction with the other surgical team members, prior to incision.
- Completes counts with circulator and team with every case.
- Other accountabilities
- Labels all solutions on the sterile field and confirms label with the RN.
- Complies with and enforces policies related to infection control.
- Maintains educational record on a monthly basis.
- Attends in-services and staff meeting and records attendance.
- Clocks in and out daily and when on call.
- Returns supplies to their proper place at the end of the case.
- Actively promotes and advocates the reprocessing initiative.
- Resource on instrumentation and sterile technique for other staff.
The above statements reflect the general duties and are not to be considered as a detailed description of all the work assignments.
- Graduate of accredited school of Surgical Technology
- BLS (within 90 days of hire)
- Background Checks (as required by state and federal regulations
- Vacation time
- Sick time
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, our Sharon Regional Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.