Surgical Tech - Operating Room - 40 hrs/wk (10 hour shifts)| BLS Required | Holidays As Needed, On Call Required
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion, and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
The Certified Surgical Technologist, an essential member of the surgical team, ensures appropriate selection, preparation, and sterility of instrumentation and equipment necessary to contribute to a positive outcome for the surgical patient. They are responsible for assisting the team by scrubbing in on cardiovascular cases.
- Expertly performs role of a resource surgical technician in cardiovascular surgery
- Performs scrub duties according to procedure, demonstrating a high level of skill and efficiency, while displaying the surgical consciousness required within this highly specialized environment.
- Works closely with all cardiac surgery team to facilitate and coordinate exceptional, efficient, and quality patient care.
- Contributes to the team by participating in staff meetings and in-service presentations.
- Accountable for accurate counts of sponges, needles and instruments as appropriate before, during and after surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of national patient safety goals.
- Acts as preceptor for staff members for all aspects of the cardiovascular
- Demonstrates collegial behavior of respect and consideration with regard to work environment (i.e. restocking rooms, returning equipment/supplies for other surgical procedures, cleaning work areas/station and or communication as appropriate).
- Has a surgical conscience in the principles of aseptic technique in maintaining a sterile environment.
- Anticipates the instruments/equipment the surgeon will need next.
- Assists in turnover of rooms and preps OR for patients.
- Is an active participant in the “Time Out” giving one’s full attention to the process and will speak up if something does not seem right, stopping the line until there is resolution.
- Team player who can complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Hold retractors and complete additional tasks at surgeon’s request during procedure.
- Handles tissue specimens obtained for laboratory analysis.
- Organize and restock the OR following surgical procedures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team providing excellent specialized care.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with surgeons and other employees.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate in English verbally and written
- Demonstrates a high level of knowledge and proficiency in all aspects of the Surgical Technician role including case preparation, set-up, aseptic technique, surgical instrumentation, equipment and supplies, and room turnover.
- Education: Accredited Surgical Tech Program. Associates Degree preferred.
- Experience: Must have a minimum of one year scrubbing in cardiac surgery
- Certification/Licensure: ARC/STSA-Accredited Surgical Technology Program; or NBSTSA- Certification is conferred by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting. BLS Required
- 1-2 years of experience working as a Cardiac Surgery Technician in a tertiary or quaternary Hospital.
- Experience working in both operating room and PV lab and/or hybrid operating room.