Location: Carney Hospital
Posted Date: 11/17/2020
On Call Required
- The Surgical Technician is an individual who is assigned to and responsible for direct and indirect care during the inter-operative phase of the patient’s surgical experience. The Surgical Technician practices within the guidelines on the policies and procedures of Steward Carney Hospital.
- Utilizes knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the lifespan when assisting in preparing the patient for surgery. Uses a courteous manner
- Greets patient within ten seconds of arrival, introduces self and answers questions pleasantly
- Transfers and positions patient according to departmental guidelines, maintaining patient comfort safety and privacy
- Prepares operating room with the supplies and equipment appropriate to the scheduled case
- Gathers supplies for up to ten cases per day according to surgeon’s preference cards and completes set-up by the time patient is prepped
- Opens supplies using a septic technique guidelines
- Scrubs and dons surgical garb in accordance with department policy
- Sets up instruments, linens, sutures in accordance with O.R. policy
- Conducts instrument, sponge and needle counts
- Conducts instrument, sponge, and needle counts in accordance with O.R. policy and in conjunction with RN prior to incision and prior to closure
- Handles instruments correctly during surgery
- Monitors progress of case and anticipates instrument(s) surgeon will need
- Maintains neatness and cleanliness of table throughout surgery, cleaning instruments as needed
- Assists surgeon by appropriately handing instruments to him/her. Complies with other requests from surgeon such as suctioning, holding retractors, etc
- Practices aseptic technique as per O.R. policy 100% of the time
- Checks integrity of wrappers, expiration dates and sterility indicators ongoing per case
- Monitors self and surgical team for breaks in technique ongoing per case
- Practices care of specimens from each case in accordance with pathology requirements so that all specimens are handed off surgical field by end of case
- Receives specimens from surgeon throughout case and gently places in appropriate solution in accordance with pathology requirements
- Passes specimen off the sterile field to RN without breaking sterile technique
- Assists in identifying specimen for labeling purposes by relaying labeling information from surgeon to RN
- Washes and prepares instruments for sterilization after each case and assists in decontamination of O.R. prior to next case
- Washes instruments and equipment with designated cleaning agent in accordance with O.R. policy
- Disposes of dirty linen, trash and needles/sharps in accordance with universal precautions
- Puts extra unused supplies away in designate area
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to patients ranging in age from infancy through adolescence, adulthood and geriatrics
- Must possess the ability to anticipate the surgical needs of the patients age and to interpret appropriate information required to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age specific needs
- Demonstrate good judgment and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Education: Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technician program
- Experience: One year previous experience preferred. Newly graduated Surgical Technicians will be accepted only after careful review of surgical experience and scholastic achievement.
- Certification/Licensure: Certification as a Surgical Technician by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) required