Assists with nursing care of the patient in the operating room and functions as a member of the surgical team to scrub or second assist.
- Always cognizant of patient allergies to latex and follows precautions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of anatomy and basics of operative procedure to be performed.
- Participates in Universal Protocol and Time out.
- Performs scrubbing functions during the patient’s operative/invasive procedure.
- Handles emergencies without difficulty
- Assures supplies/instrumentation are age appropriate
- Demonstrates flexibility in the approach to delivering patient care
- Demonstrates the ability to assist team during a Malignant Hyperthermia crisis
- Follows laser safety guidelines
- Participates in department fire drill
- Performs duties during conditions involving major trauma and cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Provides care in consideration of growth, development, and social needs of the patient.
- Recognizes and responds to priorities in patient care
- Consistently verifies medication with licensed professional nurse for: Medication, dose, expiration date and patient allergies prior to accepting medication on the field.
- Wears protective goggles/mask when scrubbed
- Acts as a resource person for professional and non-professional personnel.
- All instruments are retrieved back into their appropriate trays after cases are completed and are not thrown out by mistake.
- Always identifies expiration dates before accepting implants on to the sterile field
- Assures that all sharps are properly disposed of after the surgical procedure
- Broken or dirty equipment and instruments are managed and reported according to policy.
- Consistently follows standard precautions
- Consistently performs a surgical hand scrub as per Policy and Procedure
- Consistently performs appropriate gowning and gloving technique
- Demonstrates ability to scrub on GEN/VAS /GYN/THORAIC cases
- Demonstrates ability to scrub on ORTHO/NEURO/ENT/Maxillofacial cases
- Medications are labeled properly according to policy.
- Specimens are properly handled and labeled according to policy
Years of Related Experience:
- Minimum: 0-1
- Preferred: 2-4
- American Red Cross/American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Education: Technical School/2 Years College/Associates Degree
Specialized Skills (Required):
- Must have graduated from a formal surgical technician program
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.