Please be advised that this position is temporary and based on the current operational needs of the Steward Morton Hospital. Therefore, the duration of this position is subject to the discretion of Steward Morton Hospital based on such operational needs.
A Surgical First Assist is a member of the patient care team, who is assisting under the direct supervision of the surgeon while at the same time providing assistance to the physician performing surgery.
- Assisting the surgical team in providing quality patient care.
- Demonstrating knowledge of as well as supports the philosophy and objectives of the department.
- Promotes effective communications between surgeon and staff.
- Ensure adequate supplies and is knowledgeable in operation of equipment and instrumentation.
- Cooperates with charge nurse and OR Manager in working toward common departmental goals.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the responsibilities of a team member.
- Perform other departmental duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance.
- Is Reliable in respect to punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: in-services, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and in-services and/or reviews documentation as required.
- Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
- Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located.
- Education: High School education or equivalent preferred. Graduate of an accredited surgical technology program.
- Certification/Licensure: Certified as a Surgical Technologist preferred.