At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
The surgical technician’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to: reviewing upcoming OR schedule to anticipate need for instrumentation/equipment, ensuring all necessary equipment is available and in proper working order, setting up all necessary equipment and instrumentation for surgical procedures, performing appropriate surgical counts according to facility policy and organizing case carts for upcoming procedures. The surgical technician works in collaboration with the operating room circulator prior to a surgical procedure to carry out the plan of care by preparing the operating room, gathering and preparing sterile supplies, instruments and equipment, preparing and maintaining the sterile field using sterile and aseptic technique and ensuring that the surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely. Work involves inventorying, disassembling, decontamination, high level disinfection, cleaning, reassembling, and maintaining operating room instrumentation and endoscopy equipment. The surgical technician performs in-between case cleaning turnover in the OR suite.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Anticipates surgeon needs
- Maintains surgeon’s preference cards
- Processes all instruments and equipment for the operating room
- Performs surgical counts
- Passes supplies, equipment, or instruments
- Prepares and cuts suture material
- Transfers, but not administer, drugs within the sterile field
- Assists in counting sponges, needles, supplies and instruments with an operating room circulator
- Performs specimen handling
- Assists in room turnover
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Knowledge of aseptic technique, infection control principles, sterilization techniques, equipment and supply processing, and operation of steam sterilizers.
- Knowledge of Spaulding Classification
- Knowledge of Universal Protocol
- Knowledge of AORN Standard and Recommended Practices
- Ability to prioritize equipment needs of the operating room
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Education: High School Diploma or GED required; graduation from an accredited school of surgical technology required* (please read detailed descrption below)
Experience (Type & Length): 1 – 5 years preferred
Certification/Licensure: CST required* (please read descrption below), BLS required
- Surgical technologists are required to complete an accredited educational program for surgical technologists and hold and maintain a certified surgical teachnologist credential administered by a nationally recognized surgical technologist certifying body accredited by the National Commisson for Certifying Agencies and recognized by the American College of Surgeons an d the Association of Surgical Technologists; OR
- Has successfully completed an accredited school of surgical technology but has not, as of the date of hire, obtained the certified surgical teachnologist certification. This is provided, however, that such certification shall be obtained within 12 months of the graduation date; OR
- Was employed as a surgical technologist in a surgical facility on or before July 1, 2013; OR
- Has successfully completed a training program for surgical technology in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the United States or in the United States Public Health Service which has been deemed appropriate by the commissioner.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 120209