Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 6/29/2020
The Switchboard Operator is responsible for handling and processing the large volume of calls that come into the hospital utilizing the hospital telecommunications equipment. Understands the importance of immediate response in emergency situations.
- Skilled utilization of the computerized telephone/paging system (Xtend) (includes data input).
- Answer, assist and direct a high volume of calls efficiently while communicating clearly, politely and professionally.
- Perform paging/answering services for medical center staff and execute related functions; prepare on-call schedules, monitor " Wandering System," Issue beepers, record coverage status, take messages, update pertinent information, make system changes, maintain telephone logs on telephone/technical/pager and television problems.
- Record and report telephone related problems to the Lead Technician.
- Ability to perform simultaneous tasks and execute appropriate judgment under sometimes hectic and stressful circumstances.
- Capable completion of and utilization of numerous on-call schedules.
- Process calls regarding "Interpreter Services" following established procedures.
- Respond to and process TDD calls.
- Act as Security Dispatch and Patient Information during off-hours.
- Recognize system problems, failures and be familiar with "back-up system and the procedural follow-up.
- Work without direct supervision, exert excellent judgment based on sound logic and adhere to medical center and departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain a professional, pleasant and helpful manner. Communicate in a warm and courteous manner.
- Anticipate customer needs and be flexible in responding to them.
- Monitor all alarms and respond/report according to Medical Center procedures.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned