Switchboard Operator, 40 HRs/Week, Day Shift
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion, and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Switchboard Operator, 40 HRs/Week, Day Shift, Monday through Friday, Weekends as Needed, Holidays Required
I. Position Function:
- Under the direction of the Lead Operator, performs telephone answering, paging and other telecommunication services utilizing the Meridian and Xtend systems.
- Performs telecommunications functions without requiring constant supervision.
II. Job Relationships:
- Reports to Lead Operator and to the Director of Telecommunications
- Must be able to effectively communication with all medical center personnel and the public in a professional manner.
III. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
"Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards.
- Skilled utilization of the computerized telephone/paging system (Xtend) (includes data input).
- Answer, assist and direct a high volume of calls efficiently while communicating clearly, politely, and professionally.
- Perform paging/answering services for medical center staff and execute related functions; prepare on-call schedules, monitor " Wandering System," Issue beepers, record coverage status, take messages, update pertinent information, make system changes, maintain telephone logs on telephone/technical/pager and television problems.
- Record and report telephone related problems to the Lead Technician.
- Ability to perform simultaneous tasks and execute appropriate judgment under sometimes hectic and stressful circumstances.
- Capable completion of and utilization of numerous on-call schedules.
- Process calls regarding "Interpreter Services" following established procedures.
- Respond to and process TDD calls.
- Act as Security Dispatch and Patient Information during off-hours.
- Recognize system problems, failures and be familiar with "back-up system and the procedural follow-up.
- Work without direct supervision, exert excellent judgment based on sound logic and adhere to medical center and departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain a professional, pleasant, and helpful manner. Communicate in a warm and courteous manner.
- Anticipate customer needs and be flexible in responding to them.
- Monitor all alarms and respond/report according to Medical Center procedures.
- Performs related duties as needed and assists occasionally in special projects as requested.
IV. Reporting Requirements:
- Reports immediately to the lead operator any deviation of normal operation.
- Reports immediately to the lead operator of any unusual occurrences related to patients, staff, general public or self.
- Reports all incidents and/or breaches of procedures to the Lead Operator.
- Is accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all medical center related, staff related and patient related data and information.
- Is accountable for abiding by all relevant medical center policies and procedures.
- Is accountable for accurately recording/reporting all technical information relative to codes, etc.
- Is accountable for observing all policies and procedures of the department and the medical center.
- Minimum Education:
- High school, or equivalent.
- Minimum Experience:
- One-year experience in a business or medical related field with heavy telephone usage.
- Ideally will have performed telephone operator or call director duties.
- Customer service experience a must.
- Minimum skills/abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to speak clearly and precisely.
- Excellent grammar.
- Flexibility in a fast-paced hectic environment.
- Patience under pressure.
- Kindness and sensitivity to all the people we serve.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.