Switchboard Operator Per Diem
Shift: Per diem
The Switchboard Operator is responsible for handling and processing the large volume of calls that come into the hospital utilizing the hospital telecommunications equipment. Understands the importance of immediate response in emergency situations.
- Skilled utilization of the computerized telephone/paging system (Xtend) (includes data input).
- Answer, assist and direct a high volume of calls efficiently while communicating clearly, politely and professionally.
- Perform paging/answering services for medical center staff and execute related functions; prepare on-call schedules, monitor " Wandering System," Issue beepers, record coverage status, take messages, update pertinent information, make system changes, maintain telephone logs on telephone/technical/pager and television problems.
- Record and report telephone related problems to the Lead Technician.
- Ability to perform simultaneous tasks and execute appropriate judgment under sometimes hectic and stressful circumstances.
- Capable completion of and utilization of numerous on-call schedules.
- Process calls regarding "Interpreter Services" following established procedures.
- Respond to and process TDD calls.
- Act as Security Dispatch and Patient Information during off-hours.
- Recognize system problems, failures and be familiar with "back-up system and the procedural follow-up.
- Work without direct supervision, exert excellent judgment based on sound logic and adhere to medical center and departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain a professional, pleasant and helpful manner. Communicate in a warm and courteous manner.
- Anticipate customer needs and be flexible in responding to them.
- Monitor all alarms and respond/report according to Medical Center procedures.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School or Equivalent
- One year experience in a business or medical related field with heavy telephone usage.
- Ideally will have performed telephone operator or call director duties.
- Customer Service Experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to speak clearly and precisely.
- Excellent grammar.
- Flexibility in a fast paced hectic environment.
- Patience under pressure.
- Kindness and sensitivity to all the people we serve.
Important COVID message
Please note, our Good Samaritan Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.