Team Leader (Spec Processing), 40 hrs/wk, Days, Every other weekend, Holidays
I. Position Function:
Services as first-line, multi-disciplinary leadership for specimen processing, phlebotomy, customer service and urinalysis on the 2nd and 3rd shifts.
Oversees the operations by coordinating scheduling and training of staff, enhancing cross-training and cross coverage of staff, maximizing the flow of specimens and ensuring the accuracy of laboratory functions.
As the first-line problem solver, is responsible for troubleshooting all specimen processing problems (such as, specimen integrity issues, mismatched specimens, missing specimens, improper sample submission, unusual test requests) using the Technologist, Team Leader as a resource as necessary. Maintains high quality service standards consistent with departmental goals and customer service.
Works toward continuous improvement in services to internal and external customers.
II. Job Relationships:
Supervised and/or reportable to the following, by job category:
- Laboratory Service Manager
Supervises, by job category:
- Customer Service Associates CSA
- Staff Phlebotomists
Collaborates and effectively communicates with laboratory management and staff, physicians, other health care professionals and patients.
Has the authority to prepare time sheets for Payroll department.
Has the authority to handle first level employee problems and/or issues.
Has the authority to resolve customer complaints and/or problems to ensure customer retention.
Has the authority to resolve order supplies as needed by the sections.
Has the authority to provide information, including but not limited to, testing methods, specimen requirements, test results, laboratory capabilities and services.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
Monitors the daily operation of the section making changes toward improving systems and procedures as needed. Strives for continuous improvements in services to all laboratory customers (internal and external):
- Handles all front line problems as they occur in phlebotomy, nursing home draws, specimen
processing and client services.
- Provides follow through on situations that require.
- Makes decision regarding specimen processing, client and/or phlebotomy issues in the
absence of the Manager.
- Monitors productivity of staff and comments on methods to streamline functions.
- Monitor client service issue that arise.
- Incorporate client services into the specimen processing area after 8 PM.
- Maintains and review all records for Quality Control.
- Monitors pre-assigned quality indicators.
- Suggests new quality indicators to monitor.
- Assist in the collection and preparation of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) projects.
- Offers ideas for future CQI projects that will benefit the laboratories.
- Actively participates in the Hospital Performance Improvement Program.
- Observes functions of the section, and makes suggestions on ways to better streamline
- Oversees the administration of proficiency testing.
- Assists in the reviewing of policies and procedures, advising on new Standard Operating
Can function as a Phlebotomist, Customer Service Associate, and Customer Service Representative.
Has a thorough knowledge of all department procedures and workload demands. Schedules section employees to ensure adequate staffing in the section and performs staffing functions whenever necessary:
- Access the workload on a daily basis and makes the necessary adjustments to staffing where
- Monitors the staffing for in house phlebotomy.
- Approves time off requests for the section and making the necessary scheduling
- Makes necessary adjustments to basic schedules when needed to provide adequate staffing.
- Approves scheduling changes, while adhering to the departmental budget.
- Substitutes for staff positions, functions as required.
Oversees phlebotomy functions and staff including:
- Inpatient phlebotomy
- Outreach phlebotomy services for nursing home clients
- Home draws
Retrieves, compiles, prepares and processes reports and logs (statistical, management, patient, client) as appropriate:
- Monitors Turnaround time for identified outside clients (i.e., Franciscan Children's Hospital).
- Reviews abnormal clinical testing results generated by the section.
- Maintains and review the referral testing interface.
- Updates all specialized referral testing results in the LIS.
Coordinates the successful handling of referral work including timely processing of specimens, liaison with couriers and results reporting.
Maintains first-line accountability for supplies and staffing expenses in the Laboratory Service and takes corrective action as required. Adheres to the budget:
- Insures adequate inventory of supplies needed from Central Supply.
- Approves requisitions from phlebotomy for supplies needed from Central Supply.
- Prepares requisitions for signature of manager for supplies purchased outside of the facility.
Coordinates all training for section employees in all required procedures ensuring implementation of standards for performance and directing follow through on performance improvement measures:
- Assumes responsibility for training of all new staff in all necessary areas of the section.
- Assists in the cross training of all staff, allowing for cross coverage from other disciplines.
- Monitors and maintains competency of all staff throughout the section on a yearly basis.
- Makes recommendations regarding individual performance of staff.
Contributes to ongoing compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies for the section (including but not limited to AABB, JCAHO, CAP, OSHA, DPH, NCCLS, and CLIA).
Keeps abreast of current technical/professional information.
Follows all organizational, departmental, and section policies and ensures their implementation by all staff working in the section.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
In the absence of the Manager, assumes direct responsibility for operations of all disciplines of the section by addressing situations and following through on problems as needed.
Helps to develop and achieve section goals and objectives - short and long term.
Performs other related duties as required.
V. Reporting Requirements:
Completes purchase requisitions.
Generates, reviews and/or completes Internal Quality Assurance forms whenever needed.
Assists with CQI "screens" as directed and prepares and submits report to Customer Service Manager.
Assists with the completion of all employee evaluation forms (competency evaluations, employee evaluations).
Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all hospital-related, medical staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
Shall be accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
Shall be responsible for maintaining appropriate levels of staffing in the section.
Shall be responsible for maintaining appropriate levels of supplies in the section.
Shall be responsible for maintaining a high level of work performance in the section following through on all problems as appropriate.
High school graduate or equivalent: 2-4 years of technical training laboratory or health related sciences or equivalent experience required.
Experience in high volume specimen processing facilities (1,000-2,000 requisitions a day).
2-3 years commercial laboratory specimen processing/data entry experience required.
Knowledge of customer support systems preferred.
Dexterity sufficient to manipulate instrumentation.
Ability to read, understand and follow written procedures.
Ability to communicate adequately with all laboratory clients.
Basic computer/word processing knowledge.
Basic clerical/data entry skills.
Client relations experience preferred.
Training or experience in Total Quality Management desirable.
Knowledge of current scientific, regulatory and management skills applicable to a management position in a scientific discipline.
Strong leadership skills relative to motivating and empowering staff.
Capacity to analyze, to think creatively, to seek innovative alternatives and to harmonize dissent.
Capacity for quick and decisive action, for boldness and intuitive courage.
Perception of people and knowledge of how to deal with conflict and attain conflict resolution.
Important COVID message
Please note, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence, and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled, and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.