Technical Assistant - Laboratory - Full Time
Responsible to Trumbull Regional Medical Center for supporting the corporate mission, vision and values. Responsible to the Laboratory for preparation of reference lab specimens and other types of specimens for testing and phlebotomy. Responsible to the customer for courteous, accurate, timely service.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAJOR DUTIES
- Prepares laboratory specimens (blood/fluids, etc.) for shipment to reference labs by completing requisitions or utilizing the Lab Information System, processing samples, verifying specimen requirements and arranging for specimen pick up if necessary.
- Prepares patient samples for cytologic examination utilizing standard procedures.
- May process microbiology samples, performing simple stains and various culture set up techniques.
- Performs blood collection by venipuncture or micropuncture on adults, children, or infants using proper phlebotomy techniques in a courteous, professional manner.
- Processes specimens from inpatient and outpatient areas utilizing centrifugation, biological hoods and manual methods.
- May assist in the training of employees in areas of reference lab specimen processing and other types of sample preparation or phlebotomy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflects the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work assignments that may be inherent in the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school graduate or GED with related experience or training in general laboratory experience, phlebotomy, and specimen processing. After orientation, up to six month’s experience on this job is required to perform essential functions.
LICENSURE, REGISTRATION AND/OR CERTIFICATION
Certification in phlebotomy by ASCP or NCA required. If experienced, would hire and obtain certification within one year.
Important COVID message
Please note, Trumbull Regional Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.